What's new

Liver and Onions

I love it.

What say you?
$iur-2.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I LOVE liver and onions. I have never found any that matched my grandfather's. My grandmother was a legal secretary and worked the 9-5. My grandfather was a minister, so unless a parishioner was having an issue that required him, he did much of the cooking. I really wish I had paid more attention when I was a stupid teenager. Another of my favorites was his Salisbury steak.

There isn't much I won't eat, but this is one of those things. I just don't like the taste of liver. I like liverwurst in a sandwich. I can usually deal with chicken liver pate if it is done right, but there is something about liver and onions that I just can't handle.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Liver and Onions? My mother would make this all the time when my brother and I were really little. She told us it was "tender" steak. One day she told us the real truth. She lumped it in with something about Santa Claus not being real.

Fried chicken livers are good too.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Liver and Onions? My mother would make this all the time when my brother and I were really little. She told us it was "tender" steak. One day she told us the real truth. She lumped it in with something about Santa Claus not being real.

Fried chicken livers are good too.
Santa Claus- that moment when you finally find out the truth then think "what else have they been lying about?" :biggrin:

There are a few liver preparations that I like, one is paté (any bird) and the other is the liverwurst (as long as it's beef, pork is too strong) mentioned earlier. But I can't stomach liver and onions, at least the way it's been served to me.

I love liver in most forms, including calves liver. I do not love the onions part if liver and onions so much, unless the beef liver is very strongly flavored.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Tradition has it that the first night's dinner in our Deer Camp is liver and onions. Venison liver of course. One of the bow hunters had the duty of making sure there was liver on hand at the cabin if the gunner's failed day one.

Liver is one of the few things I hate. As a teen I came home and my mom was making liver for diner. I sarcastically said "don't even bother cooking mine, it couldn't taste any worse!" Lo and behold guess what was on my plate... Yes a large piece of raw liver. She made me eat the whole thing. I never commented on my mom's cooking again.

Love liver and onions. It's good with mushrooms, too. I get it from my Dad, who would make it when my Mom wasn't home (she hates it). But she could always smell it, hours later.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I love it.

What say you?
View attachment 574938
Tony:
proxy.php
...the Mrs. and I couldn't agree with you more...we especially love calf over beef liver. Besides the onions, we love it with garlic, thyme, a 'rasher' of bacon and sauteed sliced avocado slices. I then deglaze the pan with Maderia or Sherry...reduce...add demi-glaze or brown sauce.
Absolutely fantastic! :w00t:

The key is in the preparation...soaked in milk (this step is 'so' important in taking what chance of bitter taste of the liver out and 'mellows' out the flavor), nicely browned outside, but still kind of pink in the middle. The more well done you make it, the texture changes from tender
to leathery. :thumbsup:

attachment.php
"Is life worth living? It depends on the liver". William James

Last edited:
Top Bottom