What's new

Linux Distros

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Linux was my slippery slope to Apple. I got tired of Windows 98, almost smashed a PC with Millineum on it, then moved to Linux. This lead to using Linux and checking out BSD. Then OS X was built on a BSD core. Then I bought an iMac. They just work, and when I go get “down in the weeds” (not often these days), I still can.

Apple, by not allowing anyone else to play with their hardware, never had to take into account multiple vendors. Back in Ye Olden Days, when Computer Shopper was a magazine as thick as a metropolitan phone book every month, they ran an Apple or Mac clone project. IIRC, Apple was not happy at all. Meanwhile, the IBM PC did (though IBM tried to crack down with Microchannel), and you first had things like the Hercules graphics card, then full-blown clones. Not all of that hardware was 100% compatible. Still, that, and Lotus 1-2-3, helped the PC quickly eclipse Apple.

The end result is that Microsoft and OS/2 OS has/had to take all that sort-of compatible hardware into account, while Apple never faced that issue. So does Linux.

I've had limited experience with Apple products, starting with trying to convert a file on a Mac floppy to something a PC could read, with some tablet and phone. I go "Eh." If someone wants a Mac, so be it. OTOH, if Apple wanted to win converts, they'd have an OS that could run on PC. That would mean they'd have to contend with all that third party hardware, which is probably why they haven't. The closest Apple came to their OS on a PC was that Intel chip based Mac they tried some years ago.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Apple, by not allowing anyone else to play with their hardware, never had to take into account multiple vendors. Back in Ye Olden Days, when Computer Shopper was a magazine as thick as a metropolitan phone book every month, they ran an Apple or Mac clone project. IIRC, Apple was not happy at all. Meanwhile, the IBM PC did (though IBM tried to crack down with Microchannel), and you first had things like the Hercules graphics card, then full-blown clones. Not all of that hardware was 100% compatible. Still, that, and Lotus 1-2-3, helped the PC quickly eclipse Apple.

The end result is that Microsoft and OS/2 OS has/had to take all that sort-of compatible hardware into account, while Apple never faced that issue. So does Linux.

I've had limited experience with Apple products, starting with trying to convert a file on a Mac floppy to something a PC could read, with some tablet and phone. I go "Eh." If someone wants a Mac, so be it. OTOH, if Apple wanted to win converts, they'd have an OS that could run on PC. That would mean they'd have to contend with all that third party hardware, which is probably why they haven't. The closest Apple came to their OS on a PC was that Intel chip based Mac they tried some years ago.
Sorry, wasn’t trying to convert, it was more a tale of what happened to me. As to Linux distros, I don’t think there are really any bad ones out there. They have really matured. If Apple ever did go out of business, a Linux machine would be in the house. I have to deal with Windows at work, I’m not going to do it at home. An operating system that is not in total control (ie can be locked up by applications) is not an operating system, IMO. If you can’t kill something with Task Manager, then Task Manager isn’t really in charge. The kill command in Unix (and it’s stepchildren Linux, etc) is a powerful tool.

I meant Apple. If Apple wanted to convert people from the PC, porting their OS to PCs would be a huge boost.

I'm trying to think of a process I couldn't terminate under Task Manager. Maybe the corporate AV, but I'm not game to try. Other than that, haven't had problems terminating apps or processes unless something is loading them back. If you're running into this at work, you might want to do a bit of digging to find out why.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I meant Apple. If Apple wanted to convert people from the PC, porting their OS to PCs would be a huge boost.

I'm trying to think of a process I couldn't terminate under Task Manager. Maybe the corporate AV, but I'm not game to try. Other than that, haven't had problems terminating apps or processes unless something is loading them back. If you're running into this at work, you might want to do a bit of digging to find out why.
Luckily they don’t need to convert, they make enough money. A higher percentage of desktops makes for a more tantalizing target for hackers.

I started on RedHat 5 and quickly switched to Slackware 7. I used the ripped-down version that fit on a Zip disk and built my own system (notice my username?). I used to love tinkering with config files and tweaking for maximum efficiency on "dated" hardware.

I've literally tried over 100 distros through the years, but now I mainly want it to do what I want without a lot of fuss. Mint is the way to go.

I completed my B.S. I.T. degree using one of the early versions of Mint and using VBox to run Windows Server and seperate Windows clients (XP and 7) along with a full Apache LAMPP stack.

I used to go crazy with linux distros, I've been using Mint mate now ever since the Ubuntu Gnome2 / unity debacle years ago. My first Linux experience was Damnsmall loaded on a cd to run a broken WindowsMe pc. I didnt know anyting about linux at the time, just need a pc to work. After that I then moved to puppy, started hearing about Ubuntu got the free cds, stickers ,etc, but my pc didnt have the specs to run it. Got a new laptop with XP, and slapped Ubuntu on there. From there on I distro hopped on test pcs and pendrives , I enjoyed peppermint, bodhi , chakra, fuduntu , solusos, zorin, suse, fedora, etc, bunch of others and just about all the DEs, etc. At the end of the day I still like my Linux Mint LTS ,Mate set up with conky in the corner,it's simple and just works.

Luckily they don’t need to convert, they make enough money. A higher percentage of desktops makes for a more tantalizing target for hackers.

IIRC, if it wasn't for the IPod, Apple was rapidly heading to a niche market, and even that may have been shrinking. IPod turned them around, followed by the IPhone. Plenty of money, sure, but in a different market. That's cool, just like it's cool to point out that Microsoft tried to enter the music market, too, but was too late.

Huh. I thought they were still using Motorola.
Motorola I think, means an Old World Mac which is the ~1990's. New World Mac's were IBM/Motorola/Apple 32bit PowerPC architecture and last released around 2004, my Quicksilver G4 PowerMac was near the end. All the desktop/laptop stuff since has been Intel based.

The Motorola & PPC stuff is long abandoned by Apple, but still supported in Linux/BSD. The new Intel stuff works well no matter the OS.

Top Bottom