What's new

Limit yourself to a Nine Different Soaps.

This should be easy.

I'm mainly a cream kinda guy so I only use 3 soaps as it is.
MWF, Arko, and Tabac in the dead of winter.

But I know this thread is about soap ... so here goes.

Arko
MWF
Tabac
VdH Select (white puck, hypoallergenic)
LaToja
Speick
*Arlington
*Floris #89
T&H Luxury Soap (or its American cousin WMS)

*I've never actually owned these soaps, I'm going by reputation only.

Talk about a resurrection thread...this jumped from a post in July 2011 to yesterday. Almost five years! I'm game for this. My nine in no particular order:

1. PannaCrema Nuavia Rosa
2. WSP Formula T Barbershop
3. Klar Kabinett
4. Mystic Water Barbershop
5. PannaCrema San Francesco
7. Proraso Green
8. Maggard Razors Limes and Bergamot
9. La Toja

This is a constant battle for me to keep narrowing it down. I'm down to about 50 but here's my top nine at the moment in no particular order:

PannaCrema Nuavia Blue
PannaCreme Nuavia Red
Martin de Candre Fougere
Martin de Candre Original
AOS tallow Sandlewood
PannaCrema Nostalgia
WSP Formula T Tobacco
Sudsy Soapery Lavender & Peppermint
Saponificio Varesino Felice Aromatica

I left off several I wanted to include like:
Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow Barbershop
RazoRock Mudder Focker
Le Pere Lucien
and anything made by LBussy (Silver Fox soaps)

Thoughts on your soaps:
MWF - I really like this soap a lot but the white residue it leaves behind on my razors and sink keep me from using it more frequently.
Pre de Province (for the Shea Butter) - This one is decent and the scent is nice, but it's not in my top soaps.
DR Harris Arlington - in my opinion the DR Harris soaps are overrated. Average to slightly above in performance but there are a lot better soap out there. The Arlington sure is an outstanding scent though and the soap has a lot of loyal followers.
MdC - have to have this one. An excellent choice.
Santa Maria Novella - I haven't tried all of the versions but the one I did felt like a slightly improved version of Proraso Green. Nice but not worth the price difference between the two. Maybe it's me though and I have to try it again.
Trumpers Sandalwood - Great creams but I'd skip the soaps.
Tabac or Irisch Moos (apparently the same w/ different scent) - decent soaps but I'd choose others over these and that old lady's purse smell of Tabac is not a good thing for me. Definitely a large following for this one.
Penhaligon's English Fern - I have the newer version and it's just ok performance wise. I got it from a good friend so I still enjoy using it. I would love to try the older tallow version which is supposedly a lot better and worthy of a spot in the top nine. The new version isn't.
P160 or RazoRock - A nice very good performing Cherry Almond soap. Not in my top nine but I can't complain about this one. I do like it.

I'm past 15 minutes so I can't edit my original post. Here's some thoughts on my choices:

PannaCrema Nuavia Blue - outstanding soap, in fact the best I've tried. Not an inexpensive soap by any means.
PannaCreme Nuavia Red - like the Blue performance wise but a different scent.
Martin de Candre Fougere - love this scent and the soap performs great every time.
Martin de Candre Original - I never get a bad shave from MdC. Outstanding stuff.
AOS tallow Sandlewood - A favorite and the old Valobra made tallow version is outstanding.
PannaCrema Nostalgia - A very high performing soap in an Orange Clove scent that I love. Very thick rich lathers from this soap every time.
WSP Formula T Tobacco - The best Mdc recipe clone with added tallow. Think MdC with better moisturizing properties.
Sudsy Soapery Lavender & Peppermint - This one is full of butters and silky clays. I feel like I can do ten passes without irritation or use a bit more pressure during the shave without feeling the consequences. Love the scent as well.
Saponificio Varesino Felice Aromatica - A great performing soap with an excellent scent. Expensive but it's a hard soap and a large puck that will last a really long time, making it a very good value for a more expensive soap.

I left off several I wanted to include like:
Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow Barbershop - An excellent soap with excellent moisturizing properties.
RazoRock Mudder Focker - extremely slick and an excellent shave. Not my favorite scent though.
Le Pere Lucien - Love the scent and this one always gives me a great shave.
and anything made by LBussy (Silver Fox soaps) - these are unobtainable but still some of the best soap I've tried.
I'm going to add Vintage Yardley as well - It's an outstanding performance but the lack of scent keeps me from using it more often.

If I had to choose:
1. MWF
2. Tabac
3. Arko
4. Ballenclaugh
5. DeLuxe Rockers
6. Wilkinson
7. tallow AOS sandalwood
8. B&M
9. DR Harris

Precisely what I am doing in my year with Haslinger's! i will be hard pressed to get through their options!

No particular order:

Dapper Dragon Signature
B&M Bay Rum
Chiseled Face Midnight Stag
Catie's Bubbles Le Piment De La Vie
LA Shaving Soap Myrkvior
MWF
Stirling Executive Man
Stirling Island Man
The Holy Black Gold Rush

Unfortunately, this is ALL the soaps I own, I am brand new to wet shaving. We all start somewhere!

Top Bottom