What's new

Lights, Camera, Action: First straight razor shave

After switching from cartridge to DE razors I became interested in shaving with a straight razor. I read what I could get about this topic and thought myself properly prepared (theoretically). I got a shave ready razor and could not wait to try it. Before I started I called my friends at the emergency room and told them what I am going to do. After a short check, they insured me they have enough blood of my type in stock.

Such reassured I proceeded with stropping the blade. I am not sure if it did any good, but at least I did not damage the blade (the strop was not so lucky and got a small nick - always turn the blade around the spine!).

Putting such a big (compared to a DE) and sharp blade at my face felt frightening at first. Also getting the right grip for different parts of the face without disturbing the sight to the mirror was sometimes diffucult. But the first part WTG went so smooth I tried ATG. Streching the skin was even more important than using a DE razor.

Especially difficult were the chin and the mustache area. There I got 2 nicks (at spots where I sometimes cut with cartridge or DE razors). I did not want to challenge Fortuna too much and called it a shave.

The bleeding was easily stopped with a styptic pen. The result was OK. The skin was not irritated (except the nicks). The shave was equal to a hurried shave with a cartridge razor, although it took much longer.

I gave my friends at ER an all-clear, cleaned the razor and after some witch hazel I applied a good smelling AS lotion.

Way to go. Feels very good to have accomplished that, doesn't it? Good luck down the road. Being mentally prepared is the key.

Being mentally prepared is the key.
Yes, you are definitely right. Before I started the shave I thought that it will be nice and relaxing. But just holding the blade against the face produced some fear or at least respect in me. That kept my concentration on the shave, which is absolutely necessary for a beginner.
I think it will take some time until I really feel comfortable with a straight razor.

Top Bottom