What's new

Life is too short to suffer crummy firearms

I'm beginning the process to purchase my first sidearm and am woefully ignorant of what's good for a beginner. Is this a good one?
There are some good choices out there from Glock (I like the G19 and G26), Sig P320 and P365), HK P30. Smith and Wesson M&P are good, but the one that really intrigues me is the M&P EZ because it is easier to rack the slide and is hammer fired instead of striker fired. Also, it has a grip safety. I like that feature. I've not shot one of these because all guns are illegal, here. Any of the others I mentioned are stellar firearms.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
+1 on what @jar_ said. Not sure what "is this a good one?" refers to. Just because a gun is of high quality doesn't insure that it is the best gun for you. Any experience you can get shooting a rental or a friend's gun would be helpful in making your decision. The primary question will be for what purpose do you want the gun?

+1 on what @jar_ said. Not sure what "is this a good one?" refers to. Just because a gun is of high quality doesn't insure that it is the best gun for you. Any experience you can get shooting a rental or a friend's gun would be helpful in making your decision. The primary question will be for what purpose do you want the gun?
I'm looking to learn more about them, I want something that is simple to maintain, easy to learn how to use and is a quality piece. I don't want to buy junk, not looking to buy a revolver or something like that.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I'm looking to learn more about them, I want something that is simple to maintain, easy to learn how to use and is a quality piece. I don't want to buy junk, not looking to buy a revolver or something like that.
Again, tell us what activities are you planning to use the handgun.

Will it be simply punching holes in paper at a range?

Do you want to get into competitions?

Will it primarily be for self defense?

Do you read the Owners Manuals for the things you buy?

Do you have big hands, small hands? Are you strong or weak? Detail oriented or detail averse?

Suggestion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to YouTube and do a search one the term "Field Strip" and Pistol. There are ones for just about every pistol out there and you can get an idea of what will be needed for basic maintenance. Look at cleaning and maintenance for a half dozen or so different pistols?

What is simple for many may be difficult for you.

We're not trying to be difficult but there really is no single best answer.

Just buy a Glock. You can't go wrong, no matter which model. There is a reason they are the most popular and have been for decades. Simple, easy to maintain. You can branch out from there if you so desire, but you won't need to do so.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@emwolf , don't discount the revolver! I have more than a few handguns and at least half of them are revolvers. There are revolvers for every purpose, both large and small sizes, and they are the easiest to maintain and learn how to use. One of the most versatile handguns to own is a 4 inch barreled .357 magnum revolver which can also shoot .38 Special ammunition. That being said, a quality mid-sized 9mm semiauto is also an excellent choice. A Glock 19 would fill the bill, utterly reliable, easy to maintain. Purely utilitarian and not a beauty queen, but hard to beat. But there are certainly other quality contenders. Glocks don't necessarily fit everyone's hand or may not point naturally for some, so it's best to try other quality hand guns to see what fits you best. If your immediate needs are not for concealed carry, I would avoid the smaller handguns as they are harder to learn how to shoot with, mid sized or full sized will be easier to begin with. YMMV.

Ok; let's step back.

Why are you buying the firearm?

What's best for one task might be the worst for another task.

Generally larger handguns are easier to shoot accurately than smaller ones.

Generally larger handguns are harder to conceal than smaller ones.

Generally almost all calibers are equally effective.

Generally you will be encouraged to buy the other persons favorites.

My suggestion is to not decide on what to buy but rather check in your area for ranges that rent firearms and also offer instruction.

What's best for you can only be determined by you.
Not too interest
Again, tell us what activities are you planning to use the handgun.

Will it be simply punching holes in paper at a range?

Do you want to get into competitions?

Will it primarily be for self defense?

Do you read the Owners Manuals for the things you buy?

Do you have big hands, small hands? Are you strong or weak? Detail oriented or detail averse?

Suggestion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to YouTube and do a search one the term "Field Strip" and Pistol. There are ones for just about every pistol out there and you can get an idea of what will be needed for basic maintenance. Look at cleaning and maintenance for a half dozen or so different pistols?

What is simple for many may be difficult for you.

We're not trying to be difficult but there really is no single best answer.
great questions, big hands, fat fingers, punching holes in paper at a range, no competition, just want to start learning a bit more about this

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@emwolf , it sounds like you would be best served with a full sized 9mm handgun. I say 9mm because the ammo is the most readily available, least expensive and relatively low recoil, particularly in a full sized handgun. As to which one, only you can decide after handling and preferably shooting a number of samples.

Yes, nothing like quality. A few years ago i got a Sig 365 manual safety, It did not take me long to decide to convert it to XL status, longer barrel and slide and larger grip frame and magazine. Then an extra slide and barrel came along, real cheap. I tried it on my existing grip and fire control unit so know all is good, and then decided to go ahead and build both remaining slides/barrel units into complete guns. I had the local gun shop order me two fire control units, and picked up one yesterday.( apparently there are a lot of hoops to jump through buying two at once and must be compounded by Texas being a border state, so I agreed to wait a week to pick up the other, they know I am good having a CCL and a Curio and Relics license, but waiting will make their job easier). I did pick up a couple of extra manual safeties and got one installed, really an easy job, and also got for all three slides, a M Carbo titanium striker/stainless striker housing which eliminates all the plastic parts in the striker assembly. My original has an upgraded trigger, so comparing trigger pulls on the new one, the titanium coated FCU is kind of like apples to oranges, but with the new striker assembly the pull is outstanding, about 4 pounds. I am probably going back to a standard, or possibly a xl slide with a standard grip module so it will not print quite as much with IWB tucked carry.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Not too interest

great questions, big hands, fat fingers, punching holes in paper at a range, no competition, just want to start learning a bit more about this
Great.

We're getting there.

The 9mm Luger cartridge suggestion with a full size pistol makes a lot of sense. Big hand and fat fingers suggests really holding and testing before buying. Also several modern pistol designs come with an assortment of grip adapters to fit a variety of hand sizes. One area though you do want to consider is the trigger guard. I don't have very fat fingers but have found to my dismay that some pistols I really thought I'd like ended up smacking my trigger finger on the trigger guard during use. Also one was great until I tried to use it at the range on a cold day only to discover that my finger when wearing glove jess didn't fit.

Now another option.

For fun at the range and economical reality it's really really really hard to find a better option than 22lr. They are fun to shoot and you are looking at about five cents a shot rather than thirty or forty sense a shot. And there are a whole herd of new 22lr pistols and revolvers being introduced right now. In 22lr you can find everything from small to large, wheel or bottom feeder, handgun or rifle.

If you are just getting into the sport a 22lr is without a doubt the gateway drug.

As Jar_ mentioned, if you can try a few you will see what w
Just buy a Glock. You can't go wrong, no matter which model. There is a reason they are the most popular and have been for decades. Simple, easy to maintain. You can branch out from there if you so desire, but you won't need to do so.
Sounds like something OkieStubble would say. 🤣

I have well made cheaper guns and I have very well made guns. I agree ,when an opportunity arises, life is to short. AI Mk3 AE in 308, titanium can.
IMG_20210123_214043326.jpg

Top Bottom