What's new

Life is too short to suffer crummy firearms

The aforementioned being said, I detected a rumor that the HK P2000 might be a soon to be discontinued entity. Having once owned a P2000SK and recklessly sold it, I found this to be a reasonable excuse to buy another HK...this time in the more potent .40 S&W offering.
So...it's on the way. This is a file photo; mine is NIB.
IMG_0904.jpeg

Research has begun to vett out a proper holster. New-ish kid on the block from South Carolina (Palmetto Leather Works) is under review.....my man Sam is still badly backlogged. Alas....
It will join the other HK members of the family...P30SK (9mm) and HK45C (.45 ACP).
IMG_4579.jpeg
IMG_4406.jpeg

I purchased middle of the line when I bought my first, a S&W 9mm. Now that I have a reliable firearm to protect my family I can wait for whatever else I want of higher quality. Enjoy your new firearm. I hope it only nerds to be used at the range.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I can vouch for Palmetto Leather Works. I have their Model 3 OWB (black with black shark skin accents) for my WC P320 and it is a very nice, and secure, holster.

Last edited:
Good to hear that. Thanks. Seems the majority of my go-to leather guys are booked until the 38th of Koonigonda. Even the most recent player (Kirkpatrick Leather) is calling a 10-15 week lead time😱

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Good to hear that. Thanks. Seems the majority of my go-to leather guys are booked until the 38th of Koonigonda. Even the most recent player (Kirkpatrick Leather) is calling a 10-15 week lead time😱
That's what got me to go back to all the Boxes of Shame and I found I already had what I was seeking. And more. Honestly as much as I enjoy the holsters from Bullard and Simply Rugged and Privateer and Grizzle and Rosen and Sparks and High Noon and all the ones I've failed to name the oldies that have been sitting neglected in cardboard boxes in closets have turned out to be as well made and functional and in many ways equal or superior to the new ones.

Another old worn Roy's Leather pancake with my S&W Highway Patrolman.

Baker-28.jpg

Find another go-to. Wright Leatherworks currently offers a 4-6 week lead, and in my experience, it's pretty accurate. Here's my Walther PPS M2 in their Cruiser IWB holster...

20230805_233953.jpg

I have used Wright Leatherworks before; actually wore one of their "Old World" belts last night. Good stuff...well made. Reasonably priced and pretty quick delivery.
Only issue I have with WLW is their reluctance to make holsters with 1 1/2" belt slots.
They insist on 1 3/4" for reasons of their own I guess. I own no belts that size, never will. Tried the 1 3/4" slot on my 1 1/2" belts...too much wiggle. Ironically their belts are made 1 1/2". Go figure.....
In all a good choice but not up to the level of an Andrews or Grizzle rig in my opinion.

I'm a H&K fan boy. I own 6 including a P2000. I guess the info mentioned about discontinuing the 2000 fell through the cracks hear at my house. Would you mind pointing me to the articles on the possible death of said firearm.

Vicious internet rumor it might seem...
One quote indicates the P2000 is alive and well.
"To this day, production of the HK P2000 is still going strong, and they won’t be discontinuing it anytime soon."
Others elude to the rumor the P2000 is to be (eventually) replaced by the P30...who knows???

Then too, some vendors are showing the P2000 as "Sold out, No longer available, no back order, etc."
I seldom need an excuse to add to the arsenal; this was as good a rationale as any.

I have used Wright Leatherworks before; actually wore one of their "Old World" belts last night. Good stuff...well made. Reasonably priced and pretty quick delivery.
Only issue I have with WLW is their reluctance to make holsters with 1 1/2" belt slots.
They insist on 1 3/4" for reasons of their own I guess. I own no belts that size, never will. Tried the 1 3/4" slot on my 1 1/2" belts...too much wiggle. Ironically their belts are made 1 1/2". Go figure.....
In all a good choice but not up to the level of an Andrews or Grizzle rig in my opinion.
I sent a message to the folks at Wright asking if they could make holsters with 1.5" slots. Got an answer within a half hour, on the weekend! Here's what they said:

"We can. I don't suggest it. Our offset slot design benefits from the 1.75" slots. Also the 1.5" slots are much narrower and can [be] tough to get a heavy gun belt through.

Thank you

Brandon Wright"

Wright is the only leather holster manufacturer I've dealt with, and I think they're very committed to customer service. Reviews indicate they're flexible, and willing to go the extra mile for purchasers of their holsters. In my opinion, they're on the same level as other quality holster manufacturers, and at present, offer better delivery times.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
While Brandon’s email sounds experienced and logical? I’m with Tim. I prefer a 1.5 gun belt. :)

I'm beginning the process to purchase my first sidearm and am woefully ignorant of what's good for a beginner. Is this a good one?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I'm beginning the process to purchase my first sidearm and am woefully ignorant of what's good for a beginner. Is this a good one?
Ok; let's step back.

Why are you buying the firearm?

What's best for one task might be the worst for another task.

Generally larger handguns are easier to shoot accurately than smaller ones.

Generally larger handguns are harder to conceal than smaller ones.

Generally almost all calibers are equally effective.

Generally you will be encouraged to buy the other persons favorites.

My suggestion is to not decide on what to buy but rather check in your area for ranges that rent firearms and also offer instruction.

What's best for you can only be determined by you.

Top Bottom