What's new

Leather case for Merkur - Useless??

I have a leather case for my 38C, which also fits other merkur DE razors.

I noticed that while trying to put the razor with blade in the case, the blade sometimes scrapes against the case - thus ruining the edge of the blade.

My intent was to use the case for travel; the case would protect the blade and razor from being bounced around.

Does anyone else use a leather case? Do you take the blade out before inserting the razor? If so - doesn't that make the case pretty useless?:mad3:

It's a nice case, better than having it rattle around in an oversized plastic case. But why the fuss over the blades? Blades are so cheap and plentiful that I carry the razor in the leather sans the blades, which are carried separately. Use and toss as necessary. It doesn't make the case useless; in fact, if you have any Derbys, you already have a case for the blades.

Hmm. Ok - thanks for the feedback. I am debating as to whether I should take my 38C with me or get a Merkur Travel razor. I guess the travel razor is no match for the 38C in terms of a quality shave. I noticed that the Merkur travel razor also has a model with an open tooth comb.

Of course - my other motivation for the travel razor is to have a backup razor.

Hmm. Ok - thanks for the feedback. I am debating as to whether I should take my 38C with me or get a Merkur Travel razor. I guess the travel razor is no match for the 38C in terms of a quality shave. I noticed that the Merkur travel razor also has a model with an open tooth comb.

Of course - my other motivation for the travel razor is to have a backup razor.

I've found the leather case protects the blade. Just be careful when you put the loaded razor into the case, and be a little gentle when you close the case over the razor head.

I could solve the problem how to travel with a DE by putting my razor into a spectacle case that has just about the right size. They are cheap, easy to find and a spectacle hardcase can protect the razor so well that I would also use it on a journey via airplane.

Other than a case with some sort of mechanism/holder that keeps the head of the razor stable and away from the surface of the case, no case will protect the blades.

The Merkur travel razor is a very good, very compact razor - but you're not going to be able to save the blade.

If you really want to save the blade when travelling, keep the wrapper, remove the blade, rewrap and put it back into the top of the blade dispenser/box.

I don't bother - since I use Dorcos or Derbys when I'm on the road - good shavers and at around 10 cents or less per blade, I don't care too much about chucking them.

Other than a case with some sort of mechanism/holder that keeps the head of the razor stable and away from the surface of the case, no case will protect the blades.

The Merkur travel razor is a very good, very compact razor - but you're not going to be able to save the blade.

If you really want to save the blade when travelling, keep the wrapper, remove the blade, rewrap and put it back into the top of the blade dispenser/box.

I don't bother - since I use Dorcos or Derbys when I'm on the road - good shavers and at around 10 cents or less per blade, I don't care too much about chucking them.

Hmm - well that's all the arm twisting I need to go out and get a Merkur Travel razor:biggrin:

Most of the traveling I will be doing next year will be with the family in the pop-up camper. Since the camper has a hot water heater - I can get a reasonably comfortable shave. We pack up supplies in a set of drawers that get deployed just prior to departure. I plan on adding the following for Daddy's shave:

1. Muhle travel brush.
2. Sapone per Barba Hard Shave Stick (on order - have no idea if this stuff is any good!)
3. Styptic Pencil
4. Small (3 oz) container of Nivea after shave. I like TOBS Sandlewood - but I am trying to stay away from strong scents that attract yellow jackets.
5. And - Merkur travel razor

Thanks for all the information!!

Hmm - well that's all the arm twisting I need to go out and get a Merkur Travel razor:biggrin:

Most of the traveling I will be doing next year will be with the family in the pop-up camper. Since the camper has a hot water heater - I can get a reasonably comfortable shave. We pack up supplies in a set of drawers that get deployed just prior to departure. I plan on adding the following for Daddy's shave:

1. Muhle travel brush.
2. Sapone per Barba Hard Shave Stick (on order - have no idea if this stuff is any good!)
3. Styptic Pencil
4. Small (3 oz) container of Nivea after shave. I like TOBS Sandlewood - but I am trying to stay away from strong scents that attract yellow jackets.
5. And - Merkur travel razor

Thanks for all the information!!

BUT - now what do I do with my leather case?!:confused:

I could solve the problem how to travel with a DE by putting my razor into a spectacle case that has just about the right size. They are cheap, easy to find and a spectacle hardcase can protect the razor so well that I would also use it on a journey via airplane.

This is what I do. I have a few hard shell cases from glasses and watches that were not being used. I was about to throw some away a couple of weeks ago and decided to see if my razor would fit. It slides around a bit, so I'm going to cut some foam to make it a better fit, but works great!

This is what I do. I have a few hard shell cases from glasses and watches that were not being used. I was about to throw some away a couple of weeks ago and decided to see if my razor would fit. It slides around a bit, so I'm going to cut some foam to make it a better fit, but works great!

That does sound like a good idea - I had a couple of glasses cases I threw out about three months ago :001_huh:

The foam sounds like a nice touch. A cost effective way to get a great case.

Everyone has their method of traveling with a DE. I use the Merkur Travel and sometimes I'll use one of my other DE's. I remove the blade and rewrap and place it back in the plastic pack it came in. One word of caution, don't try to carry it on board with you if you value it very much.

I've not experienced this since I don't use carry on luggage but I've read several instances where razors were confiscated by the TSA agents at the airport during the scanning process of carry on luggage. I've also read where some went through without any trouble at all. You'll have to decide on a course of action.

Enjoy your shave... :biggrin:

I've actually tried leaving the blade in my HD and putting it back in the mini plastic bag and paperboard box it came in, then putting that in my toiletry kit (note to self: add padding to the HD box next time to reduce movement!). I'm not sure if it made the blade duller, and I'm sure it's not the best solution, but it seemed to work okay.

Ditto on Rasco's other comments- after spending an hour getting through the ATL security line a few days ago I was VERY surprised to find that they had somehow MISSED:confused: (!) the partial pack of Crystals that I had mistakenly put in my carryon bag. Maybe they only care about Feather blades.:lol:

Top Bottom