What's new

Least Aggressive SE

I am looking for some input from those of you who use both DE and SE razors. Are there any SE models which would be equivalent to a Gillette DE such as the Tech or New models--or perhaps a slim adjustable set at 2-3? I wet shave for the pleasure of the experience and neither need or want an aggressive shaver. The above mentioned razors all give me a shave which is close enough to suit me. And, I can get that shave without nicks, cuts, weepers, or razor burn. So, before I start buying things, how about a little advice.

Sorry but I have no idea how aggressive it is "rated" as, but I have a 1912 Eveready that seems like it just won't give me any irritation. Bought it for $9.50.

My GEM Featherweight SE razor gives me the least irritation AND a better shave than any razors I have tried. I have tried a Gillette NEW, 40's Gold Tech, late 40's Superspeed, and a Merkur 34C. I have tried many different DE blades too. The tech would shave me all day long without irritation but it just wouldn't cut my whiskers. The SS is my favorite DE but I still get a touch of irritation with it.

This featherweight is my first SE and I am in love with it already (6 shaves now)! I can do a full 4 pass shave with zero irritation and get the closest shave I have ever had. I would recommend it to anyone who has a tough beard and can't quite seem to get irritation free AND smooth from a DE. YMMV of course, but I think you should give it a shot.

The not DE/SE: a ShakeSharp. Obviously, YMMV, but many describe "better" shaves than they've experienced with DE, but with fewer nicks & weepers. I have one, and it does live up to its reputation, but I find I like more blade, so in the case it sits...

Heavy Flat Top (G-Bar) and Feather Weight are both pretty mild. So is the Micromatic Slanted Wing (Bullet Tip); I think the ones with the Guiding Eye are the mildest of that model.

I would rate my Push Button similarly effective as my Tech but it does require a different approach.

I think any of the Gems with the "Slim-V" head design (Feather Weight, Heavy Flat Top a.k.a. G-Bar, Push Button, Contour, and Contour II) are about equally mild. I'd definitely compare them with a Gillette Tech - if anything a bit milder IMO.
________
Jeff

Thank all of you who took the time and effort to reply. The information was most helpful to me. Armed with increased knowledge, I went to the Allegan Antique Market yesterday and was able to make some nice scores: a gold micro-matic, a chrome G-Bar, and a chrome featherweight. All were in like new condition. After I get some blades, I think I will start with the featherweight. :thumbup:

Thank all of you who took the time and effort to reply. The information was most helpful to me. Armed with increased knowledge, I went to the Allegan Antique Market yesterday and was able to make some nice scores: a gold micro-matic, a chrome G-Bar, and a chrome featherweight. All were in like new condition. After I get some blades, I think I will start with the featherweight. :thumbup:

Congratulations on the score! :thumbup: Be sure to disinfect those razors before you use them though.

Top Bottom