What's new

Lather - post up your favorite brush with a head of lather

Soap Signature Soaps Eboracum
Brush Yaqi 24mm Goblin Husky Knot
A very nice soap indeed with the peppermint scent obvious and refreshing. The lather is just impeccably creamy and slick...
20220612_072353.jpg

Soap Stirling Witchy Women
Brush Spiffo Manchurian
Nice enough qualities from the soap. Like the scent and the lather...the best is the marvelously awesome brush... a very soft and plush feel...so good!
20220613_072005.jpg

Soap Stirling Boat Drinks
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mojito 2 Band Badger
Just all-around a good soap. A nice pleasant scent but the best is the lather, just satisfyingly rich creamy & slick, and easily whipped up by the excellent brush!
20220616_072824.jpg

Soap Signature Soaps Coria
Brush Yaqi 24mm Cavern Lake 2 Band Badger
Epic lather from the soap...really over the top even with just a little...just to show how good it is...very slick too...
20220617_071541.jpg

Eben Stone

Staff member
Dear brother @Chard52142, most of your lather shots are very impressive, but also I keep in the back of my mind that most of the soaps you're using must be high structure. Your photo with the Maca Root is literally making me question what is real. Some of my best shaves ever were achieve using the TBS, so I know at least my wet paint lather is actually providing great slickness. But I've never been able to make lather using TBS with high structure or with any peaks. What is the secret?

Soap The Goodfellas Smile Italian Orange
Brush Yaqi 26mm Orange Black
Forgotten how good is this soap. The scent is very good in smell and strength...and the lather...wow, thickly creamy and very slick...excellent!!
20220618_072841.jpg

Dear brother @Chard52142, most of your lather shots are very impressive, but also I keep in the back of my mind that most of the soaps you're using must be high structure. Your photo with the Maca Root is literally making me question what is real. Some of my best shaves ever were achieve using the TBS, so I know at least my wet paint lather is actually providing great slickness. But I've never been able to make lather using TBS with high structure or with any peaks. What is the secret?
Hey, thanks for asking dear brother @Eben Stone. Ermmm, I really don't know how to put it exactly into words...let me try...
I am no expert, that I must admit. I am unsure what's the meaning of high structure or TBS...

I do either both bowl and face lather....
I tend to start dryer than normal and add water slowly...otherwise the lather will be foamy and not thick/rich like...if you know what I meant...
Depending on the brush too...a syn is easiest while a badger is good but with a boar not so much...as evidence by your highlight of my lather...
Referencing to the pictures you highlighted...
the macaroot is not as thick and hence you can see the swirls and peaks not so pronounce...
the PAA Solstice quality is richer and hence can be made thicker and the swirls-peaks are easier to produce...
the Opuntia with the boar...as I mentioned above...not so easy to get the volume and thickness but sufficient enough for a cone...
During the shave...I may/have the option to add water to make it wetter...or slicker. If it's too wet/foamy then I don't like it...hahaha
One way to test is...once you find the lather is good..try pulling the brush away slowly from the lather...there'll be that nice long peak...the lather should have a nice sheen easily swirl, that'll be my objective...

In conclusion...this is just my own way to maximise enjoyment of all the different soaps/creams with the different brush and find out for myself the final quality of the lather...

I hope this help and can provide some answers to your question...you can ask again np...hahaha😆😆 My family think I am crazy...😆😆

Eben Stone

Staff member
Hey, thanks for asking dear brother @Eben Stone. Ermmm, I really don't know how to put it exactly into words...let me try...
I am no expert, that I must admit. I am unsure what's the meaning of high structure or TBS...

I do either both bowl and face lather....
I tend to start dryer than normal and add water slowly...otherwise the lather will be foamy and not thick/rich like...if you know what I meant...
Depending on the brush too...a syn is easiest while a badger is good but with a boar not so much...as evidence by your highlight of my lather...
Referencing to the pictures you highlighted...
the macaroot is not as thick and hence you can see the swirls and peaks not so pronounce...
the PAA Solstice quality is richer and hence can be made thicker and the swirls-peaks are easier to produce...
the Opuntia with the boar...as I mentioned above...not so easy to get the volume and thickness but sufficient enough for a cone...
During the shave...I may/have the option to add water to make it wetter...or slicker. If it's too wet/foamy then I don't like it...hahaha
One way to test is...once you find the lather is good..try pulling the brush away slowly from the lather...there'll be that nice long peak...the lather should have a nice sheen easily swirl, that'll be my objective...

In conclusion...this is just my own way to maximise enjoyment of all the different soaps/creams with the different brush and find out for myself the final quality of the lather...

I hope this help and can provide some answers to your question...you can ask again np...hahaha😆😆 My family think I am crazy...😆😆
Thanks for the info, that is helpful. TBS = "The Body Shop" and high structure typically means the soap has a natural tendency to easily produce high volume lather, capable of greek yogurt or meringue like consistency.

Ok, thanks @Eben Stone now I understand TBS and high structure better. Looking back, I can say I am able to easily produce high-volume lather, capable of greek yogurt or meringue-like consistency with the TBS and most of my other soaps...some better than others but the final quality ultimately depends on enough product, starting with as less water as possible and lastly types of brush...
20210609_070824.jpg
20210311_082637.jpg
20210122_065806.jpg
20201216_064730.jpg
20210226_073325.jpg

Soap RazoRock Mudder Focker
Brush Zenith 28mm Boar
What can I say...over lathered again with the excellent soap in combination with the excellent brush! Love the scent...
20220619_104057.jpg

Cream TBS MacaRoot & Aloe
Brush Yaqi 24mm Aqua Tuxedo
Awesome qualities from the cream! Super nice scent with a rich creamy and slick lather...love this!!
20220621_071726.jpg

Top Bottom