What's new

Laser hair removal

When I was doing my research, I read that laser hair removal was better than electrolysis. It was so long ago that I don't remember the specifics. However, that's why I went for laser hair removal for my neck.

The only thing I could think of that would make it better is that it's probably more comfortable and possibly quicker. AFAIK, it's way more expensive, is not guaranteed to work, and there's the possibility of skin damage. My electrolysist has a 2 1/2 page article on the risks/problems of laser hair removal from the Washington Post hanging in her office.

At the risk of being phobic or something. . . There just seems to be something wrong with guys waxing, lasering, or having electrolosys.

I couldn't imagine waxing. I'm just doing my back. I've got a nice and hairy chest and I plan on it staying that way.

Yeah i'm not trying to get rid of all my hair.....I love my chest hair haha makes me feel manly.....Sometimes i put on a button up shirt and my aviators and walk around half unbuttoned.....Makes me feel like mangum pi or something....

But back hair....there's not suave way to go about having back hair.....And i mean it's not like gorilla hair, but it's there.......Mainly just pached on ither side of my spine that run 3/4 the length of my back.

The only thing I could think of that would make it better is that it's probably more comfortable and possibly quicker. AFAIK, it's way more expensive, is not guaranteed to work, and there's the possibility of skin damage. My electrolysist has a 2 1/2 page article on the risks/problems of laser hair removal from the Washington Post hanging in her office.

You're right. In regards to permanent results, electrolysis is probably the better option. It's more painful and not as quick as laser hair removal but it's also safer. I got LHR once for non-permanent results from a spa offering a discount on their LHR service. If I wanted permanent removal over a large area, I'd most likely choose electrolysis.

You're right. In regards to permanent results, electrolysis is probably the better option. It's more painful and not as quick as laser hair removal but it's also safer. I got LHR once for non-permanent results from a spa offering a discount on their LHR service. If I wanted permanent removal over a large area, I'd most likely choose electrolysis.

Is it really safer? Some guy once told me he knew a lady friend that had her upper lip done and it is completely gone. I asked about redness and he said it would last only 8 days or so although I dont think it could be that long. I dont care if its electrolysis or laser, I just want it off and completely bald. Even if it reduces by 50% ill be happy because when I do shave, I shouldnt have anything there. I just hate facial hair and I look alot better without it. It really bothers me so thats about all I will add as far as being obsessed with it. I should probably re-consider the laser and go with electrolysis then.

Is it really safer? Some guy once told me he knew a lady friend that had her upper lip done and it is completely gone. I asked about redness and he said it would last only 8 days or so although I dont think it could be that long. I dont care if its electrolysis or laser, I just want it off and completely bald. Even if it reduces by 50% ill be happy because when I do shave, I shouldnt have anything there. I just hate facial hair and I look alot better without it. It really bothers me so thats about all I will add as far as being obsessed with it. I should probably re-consider the laser and go with electrolysis then.

I said electrolysis is safer because it's been around for 125+ years. If done by someone competent, scientific data shows that there are no long term effects. LHR is still new and there isn't enough history to be positive it's safe. Also, electrolysis is definitely permanent. Not everyone gets permanent results with LHR.

That being said, I'd stick with LHR because I trust the person who did it on me. She's a Registered Nurse who happens to own a spa. I remember she was talking about how there was a guy getting LHR done on his head. He never wanted to shave again. I guess that shows there are people getting LHR all over their body without any issues. LHR has more unknowns than electrolysis so it's probably more important to find the right person and equipment.

So if LHR is still new and unknown and not permanent whereas electrolysis is with no long term effects, why do you recommend it?

I said electrolysis is safer because it's been around for 125+ years. If done by someone competent, scientific data shows that there are no long term effects. LHR is still new and there isn't enough history to be positive it's safe. Also, electrolysis is definitely permanent. Not everyone gets permanent results with LHR.

That being said, I'd stick with LHR because I trust the person who did it on me. She's a Registered Nurse who happens to own a spa. I remember she was talking about how there was a guy getting LHR done on his head. He never wanted to shave again. I guess that shows there are people getting LHR all over their body without any issues. LHR has more unknowns than electrolysis so it's probably more important to find the right person and equipment.

So if LHR is still new and unknown and not permanent whereas electrolysis is with no long term effects, why do you recommend it?

Both procedures have been approved by the FDA. The FDA approves electrolysis for permanent removal and LHR for permanent hair reduction.

Electrolysis:
- takes longer time per session.
- is cheaper per session.
- is more painful.
- has a long history of permanent hair removal.

LHR:
- is quicker per session.
- is cheaper for the overall treatment since you need fewer sessions.
- can provide permanent reduction in 3-5 sessions and permanent removal in 6-8 sessions, generally speaking.
- is newer and has more innovations being added to improve it.

I recommend electrolysis for permanent hair removal and LHR for permanent reduction. If you want less hair on your neck for shaving then go with LHR. If you want no hair on your back then go with electrolysis. That being said, some people choose LHR for the first few sessions and then get electrolysis for the final, permanent removal.

Personally, I'd choose LHR because of the familiarity I have with my technician and the guarantee she gave me that my hair would be permanently removed with LHR. Not eveyone is that familiar with their tech or with the equipment their tech uses. Since LHR is fickle and not as tried and true as electrolysis, it's not for everyone. However, it's my choice.

Any perm. hair removal on your face will end up looking err umm well feminine. Your skin won't have the micro tint and topology that comes from the hair folicles. If you ever seen any transsexual documentaries on TV you'll know what I mean.

Any perm. hair removal on your face will end up looking err umm well feminine. Your skin won't have the micro tint and topology that comes from the hair folicles. If you ever seen any transsexual documentaries on TV you'll know what I mean.

I can't say that I've seen any transsexual documentaries but I know many guys who don't even have facial hair. They've never had any. They look fine to me.

I can't say that I've seen any transsexual documentaries but I know many guys who don't even have facial hair. They've never had any. They look fine to me.

I should have put a YMMV...

I didn't want to come off as a much of a jerk I as usually do. :lol: So I was being a bit terse.

If that is the looks that you want, go for it. I was just putting it out there.

What is your point? Or your purpose? I don't really care what you think. If you're so manly, what are you doing on a shaving forum? As far as I know, shaving anything is not manly. So if I am removing hair from my face and so are you....what is your point here? Also, I dont watch transsexual documentaries so I wouldn't know :confused:

I should have put a YMMV...

I didn't want to come off as a much of a jerk I as usually do. :lol: So I was being a bit terse.

If that is the looks that you want, go for it. I was just putting it out there.

Whoa, that was kind of harsh! After all, you posed the question, so obviously you do care about others opinions; you don't have to agree with them, nothing wrong with that, but I didn't read anything that cast any aspersions on you personally....take a deep breath....

Whoa, that was kind of harsh! After all, you posed the question, so obviously you do care about others opinions; you don't have to agree with them, nothing wrong with that, but I didn't read anything that cast any aspersions on you personally....take a deep breath....

No. I don't care about others opinions. That wasn't my question. Re-read the question.

I bought three laser treatments to remove the hair on my ears. Each time after about a month it grew right back. I'm not very satisfied so far, and I'm going to give it the final treatment and see what happens.

There was little pain, no permanent redness. and for a month, my ears were a smooth as a baby's butt.

Top Bottom