What's new

Lamix Platinum Plus Pro 5 Review

Hello Gents,

In a previous post in another thread I mentioned that I bought 4 tucks of these very obscure blades. After two shaves I guess it's time for a review.
On the website the pictures show cardboard tucks, and it is mentioned on them that they are made in Germany. However, the ones I received are cased in hard white plastic tucks and on the back of the cardboard hanger it is mentioned that they are made in the "Azmusebat" factory in Turkey, the very same one that produces Derby blades, Bluebird blades and (according to another member) the also very obscure Diamonds Pro Excell blades, that I have as well.
IMG_20200612_120121737.jpg

The blades are single wrapped in wax paper with some fairly large wax dots on them.
The writing on the blades themselves is pretty faded, but with clearly defined edges, no smudged printing. Based on their obscurity and the faded writing I'm wondering if these are out of production, as I have not seen them mentioned anywhere else.
IMG_20200621_100503726.jpg

IMG_20200621_100531906.jpg

I can provide more pictures of the blades and packaging on request.
I used a blade for two shaves, to get a basic idea of how these perform. Maybe it's not the most accurate or detailed review but it is a review nonetheless.😁
I used a Fatip Piccolo Special Edition for both shaves. The first one was done with the open comb of the razor and the second one with the "Gentile" comb, which, to me, seems more aggressive than the open comb one and has some pretty deep scalloping resembling somewhat an R41.
First shave
IMG_20200614_104312.jpg

Balea Men synthetic brush
Proraso Red sandalwood soap
Fatip Piccolo Special Edition open comb
Floid Black aftershave
The shave was very smooth and comfortable. Got almost BBS on my neck, which is very difficult for me due to the thick hairs on my neck, their erratic patterns and their density. No irritation. That being said the blade is on the milder side and not very sharp. Somewhere along the lines of Voskhod, Shark Super Stainless, Bic Astor but slightly sharper than those. Not sure if these are rebranded Derbys or Bluebirds. As I have not tried either of those I cannot comment on that.
Second shave
Balea Men synthetic brush
Proraso Red sandalwood soap
Fatip Piccolo Special Edition gentile comb
STR8 Ahead aftershave
As I stated before I found this pretty aggressive. Lots more blade feel which I don't enjoy all that much. Some weepers but those were also because I have some bumps on my neck on the hair's edge.
In the end the shave was as close as the first but this time with a fierce sting from the aftershave.
I also noticed that BOTH plates of the Fatip have alignment issues. So there is some truth to the story. I loaded the blade just like in the case of the other razors I own : holding the cap upside down, inserting the blade, inserting the plate and then screwing in the handle. Still, there was unequal blade exposure. In both cases I fiddled with the alignment for a few minutes but could not get it perfect. The blade, regardless of the fact that it was inserted straight was showing unequally. In the end it was not such a big issue but to those who cannot stand this and want better tolerances beware.
So what do I think of the blade, then? Not a bad addition to my collection. If you like mild blades like the Voskhod you're going to like this as well. The price was about the equivalent of 1.25 USD. Not the cheapest but not expensive either.
The only other question is the longevity of the edge. For that more shaves are required. I will shave some more with it in other razors to see how it measures up. I usually only shave three times with a blade before replacing it. But I will continue to test it to "flex its muscles".
In the end I think they are worth the price for the novelty alone, if you can get your hands on some of them, to add variety to the blade stash.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• IMG_20200621_100431883.jpg
    IMG_20200621_100431883.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11

@malocchio
Wow! I searched the forums over and over and could not find that! Guess I have to bow down to the master, as my search skills were too weak. :biggrin1:
In any case, this blade does not get a lot of attention, even here.

@malocchio
Wow! I searched the forums over and over and could not find that! Guess I have to bow down to the master, as my search skills were too weak. :biggrin1:
In any case, this blade does not get a lot of attention, even here.
Thank you SuperMax_fan !.... Since Gillette left Brazil there are no manufacturers left...The other Brazilian blades are all made by TREET now ....

I revisited this blade today, after almost a year, using my Yintal Bronze, I had made an entry in @malocchio 's thread at that time (LAMIX: Germany vs. Turkey - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/lamix-germany-vs-turkey.512429/post-10455894)

IMG_20201006_203711.jpg

It is a very efficient blade in my experience, I was almost BBS after two passes, and did a third pass to clean up some tough spots. Zero to minimal post-shave irritation, with just a couple of tiny weepers.

These are made by the Derby factory, I've only shaved with the basic Derby in the past (which I hate), and these have a similar feel during the shave, but are sharper and do not shred you to pieces. Perhaps they could be the same as Derby Premium or Derby USTA or some other variation?

Definitely a good blade to have in my opinion, and it looks cool too.

Top Bottom