What's new

Lambda Athena

How that buffoon can say the Ares or Athena felt aggressive and had too much blade feel is beyond me! He also wants to copy the metal alloy used. And his 1 pass shave trial wasn't much of a trial!
I didn’t watch this review, I’m trying not to give him another view, but I saw his hit job on the Osprey… If he watched Shane's videos, and he seemed to indicate he did, he knows that setting 1 should be too mild for nearly everyone, yet he still feigned surprise. Then he said it wasn’t cutting at all on 2 or 4? I'm not buying it; adjust your shave angle, you idiot. Then even more surprise when, now on his 4th pass with the razor turned up to 6 (as a 1-pass shaver), it was too much for him. And after 2 or 3 more passes in the mid-range, he was shocked - shocked! - to start feeling irritation. Luckily, he had his own high-priced adjustable and an old TTO that he replated and also happens to sell at his store to come to the rescue. 🙄🙄🙄

Anyway, sorry to derail, but this guy rubs me the wrong way. I’m sure his review of Athena is equally unflattering, since he doesn’t sell that razor at his own store either.

Last edited:
I didn’t watch this review, I’m trying not to give him another view, but I saw his hit job on the Osprey… If he watched Shane's videos, and he seemed to indicate he did, he knows that setting 1 should be too mild for nearly everyone, yet he still feigned surprise. Then he said it wasn’t cutting at all on 2 or 4? I'm not buying it; adjust your shave angle, you idiot. Then even more surprise when, now on his 4th pass with the razor turned up to 6 (as a 1-pass shaver), it was too much for him. And after 2 or 3 more passes in the mid-range, he was shocked - shocked! - to start feeling irritation. Luckily, he had his own high-priced adjustable and an old TTO that he replated and also happens to sell at his store to come to the rescue. 🙄🙄🙄

Anyway, sorry to derail, but this guy rubs me the wrong way. I’m sure his review of Athena is equally unflattering, since he doesn’t sell that razor at his own store either.
So if you smash the "thumbs down" button does the YouTube algorithm penalize him ;-)

... Thom

The author of this video claims that Lambda Athena is as aggressive as Rex Ambassador at 4 or even 5 setting.
I haven't tried an ambassador, but I have tried a Rex envoy, which according to the specs, should be equal to the 3rd level of an Ambassador. However, in my opinion, the Rex envoy has much more of a blade feel and is significantly less effective than the Athena.
That's why I don't trust YouTube channels for a long time!
You can't believe a word that comes out of that hacks mouth!! One of the most dishonest vendors in this business...

I watched that video the other day.... How that buffoon can say the Ares or Athena felt aggressive and had too much blade feel is beyond me! He also wants to copy the metal alloy used. And his 1 pass shave trial wasn't much of a trial!
Agreed (at least for the Athena, never tried the Ares, but I’m willing to give the benefit of the doubt to Theo’s workmanship/design). Also, does any razor actually leave no stubble on a one pass WTG shave? I don’t think I’ve encountered one.

Going back on topic, I’m loving my Athena. It feels like it gets better with every shave. I think my only complaint about the Athena is that there is no low cost version that I can bring along when I travel 😅.

Not him - he can cut himself with an electric razor.

I have to say the whole video did cost him credibility. The Athena is not a blade forward razor.
Like I said, I'm not a fan. IMHO, he only has credibility to people new to traditional shaving. He doesn't deserve the following he has. But he knows how to market himself to those new shavers -- even his giveaways. I wonder if they're real or if he's just peddling channel memberships by faking the giveaways. I'm not accusing; I'm just suspicious.

Having said that, he raves about the Lambdas as he shaves. Even though he doesn't seem to understand blade exposure or overhang (I guess compared to a Rockwell 6s the Athena has no overhang). :) And don't ask him about Personna Lab Blues. According to him, the Comfort Coated are a completely different blade.

I did not feel offended by much of what he said. I have an Ambassador razor and have both Lambda razors he used. I can say that I understand where he is somewhat trying to get to with his point in regards to efficiency perhaps. The Ambassador razor took me the longest time to master, it sat on display for the longest time over the years just gathering dust. I disliked it at every setting and every blade I had tried with it but eventually I tried many other things as I was determined to get my money's worth out of the razor as I did enjoy its design. It is very efficient per pass but the question is if the Athena and Ares are the equivalent to an Ambassador on 5 in regards to comfort... I absolutely doubt that very much! In fact I feel like even a setting 4 does not compare in terms of comfort.

I have had some issues with my Ambassador in the past but it is a good razor once you find what works for you or your face adapts but to compare it to the Lambda razors... I don't think so.

The Ambassador may be more efficient per pass but the end result is what matters. I do not think Theo designed the Lambda razors to be one pass razors and with that in mind the Lambda razors are excellent and perform very well. Just like the Ambassador razor there are ways to mitigate blade feel although on its 4+ settings it becomes much more difficult for me but having said that there are people that max out the settings on the Ambassador too.

End result is that this review is based on his experiences and opinion and that is fine. I do feel the review was heavily edited and maybe lacked more detail. We can all agree that the Lambda razors are fantastic and I can assure you that the Lambda razors do not have as much blade feel as an Ambassador razor on setting 5. I will however be putting that theory to test in the future.

The Ambassador is not an entry level razor, it's not as intuitive as the Lambda razors either therefore it is my summation that Matt would require more time/experience to appreciate the razors and also try to use them with the mindset of doing more than just one pass.

The Ares razor is very simple to find the optimal angle and whilst there is some room for you to adjust your angle it is not as wide as the Athena razor which has a far larger range of operational angle which I will add can also affect the blade feel.

As for the other video then the less I say about that person the better.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Lots of true words were spoken about razor makers reviewing the products of competitors. It takes a certain mindset and business attitude to even get the idea to do that at all.

Regarding wetshavers on Youtube, I don't have the patience and interest to watch them come to a conclusion even with 2x speed and skipping to the end.

I stopped watching such videos quite a while ago, I greatly prefer reading about that in forums or websites, blogging is dead nowadays unfortunately.

What really got me yesterday is that even simple coffee machine maimtenance instructions are ever more straight away posted as Youtube video instead of writing a short and concise text that would often be way more instructive, shorter and precise. The videos are often lacking a lot of quite important information and focuses on the watch and see step by step approach.

I just wanted to know if I have to press both buttons or hold only one for the Senseo coffee pad machine of my grandma (FYI for North Americans, that's something like a Keurig) to start de-calc.

Just wait for the 3 piece razor instruction video in which way to put the baseplate under the cap!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
No disagreement, but his video has now introduced the Lambdas to 4000 viewers. No such thing as bad advertisements.
Wally, Negative reviews seldom help sell a product. I get that 4000 people have now heard of Lambda razors.... but will they dismiss them as a brand to be avoided or will they do their own research? What if someone searches for Lambda razors on YouTube and watch that video.... They might think that "is" their research and never buy one of Theo's great razors. The video is a disservice to the wet shaving community, as I see it.

Any reasonably intelligent person should know that when doing research on an item, they should gather reviews from at least a few independent sources. Then ignore any that come from competing companies or merchants that sell them.
In my opinion, the most objective comments are in a place like this forum where users buy their own instruments, have no sponsors and don't have to be careful what they say.

There is nothing easier than telling the truth when you are not directly dependent on third parties. In most cases, that's exactly what happens here. People express their personal opinion.

Wally, Negative reviews seldom help sell a product. I get that 4000 people have now heard of Lambda razors.... but will they dismiss them as a brand to be avoided or will they do their own research? What if someone searches for Lambda razors on YouTube and watch that video.... They might think that "is" their research and never buy one of Theo's great razors. The video is a disservice to the wet shaving community, as I see it.
That is a good point, but I have reached out to Theo at Lambda and the video seems to have increased interest and purchases. I didn't find the video to be anywhere near as negative as the hit job he did on the Osprey. Most people, imho, don't expect a perfect shave in one pass. I have faith that people see through his charade and have inquired about the razor and researched places like this forum. Anyway, that is my hope.

Top Bottom