What's new

Lady Shaver seeks brush suggestions

howdy, I decided to deluke after binge reading this forum all weekend. It's safe to say I've been bitten by this hobby. I haven't bought a whole lot yet, but I intend to.

I'd like to talk about brushes. Being of the lady persuasion I'll be shaving my legs mostly, so I'd like some recommendations for large brushes. Specifically a badger and synthetic and maybe a horse. I want a set of brushes to really compare and get a good feel for their differences and benefits. To start developing ideas on what I like and dislike about them. But narrowing the field to a starting place is daunting.

I have one brush currently and it's an omega 98. I'm not against getting another boar brush if there is one significantly different and worth trying.

I'm not shaving my face so super soft face feel is slightly less important than the ability to make enough lather for both legs. So I'm leaning towards a best badger type badger brush, but that is about has far as I've gotten.

I have about $150-200 I could spend on this venture. But every dollar I don't spend on brushes is one more dollar I can spend on soap, which I have very little of...today.

My goal is 4-6 brushes that give me enough variety to try the different types and have enough tools to tackle different types of soaps.

I've been working through the epic 3017 thread to pick out winning soaps, but I'll just out myself to say I have an order of MDC on the way already.

This is me, jumping in with both feet. I've never looked forward to shaving more...so much so I'm considering a straight razor.

The wife uses this 24mm synthetic and she likes it:

IMG_4804.JPG

It's a pretty big knot to cover her legs.

My wife uses a Razorock Plissoft synthetic. There is the Big Bruce edition that has a 26mm knot. The one my wife uses has a 24mm knot. She likes it, but I could see the larger knot being a plus.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Try a Semogue 620. Cost you $20 and you can spend the difference on more interesting shaving stuff or 'most anything else.

If you want a large brush, I would recommend either the Stirling 26mm (called the Kong) or the Razorock 26mm Plissoft (called the Monster). They are both the same brush, but the Razorock is somewhat cheaper. They are large, soft, and can lather any soap or cream. Maintenance is not required beyond thoroughly rinsing them, and they dry completely in a couple of hours.

Synthetic is definitely the way to go. If you have broader areas to shave or you want to achieve coverage quickly, get a 26mm knot and if you don't have huge hands, I recommend the RazoRock Big Bruce for its handle shape. Personally, I think a 24mm knot is easier to lather and has a decent splay. My recommendation for a 24mm synthetic is Maggard (you certainly don't have to buy it in purple either). These brushes cost under $20 shipped. You could buy both and start a nice collection. Good luck!

This is me, jumping in with both feet. I've never looked forward to shaving more...so much so I'm considering a straight razor.
Welcome to B&B, and thanks for coming out of the shadows.

The Razorock matwho mentioned above has a very nice sized handle. I am a fan of larger handles myself. They also have a badger version of that same brush. My wife has a Whipped Dog synthetic brush with the goblet handle. Both companies are excellent to deal with and won't break you.

If you truly are considering using a straight, send me a message. I might just be able to get you going with a shave ready razor to try out to see if you would like it or not. :thumbup1:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Quasiquxotic:
proxy.php
My spouse (Milady), uses one of my vintage restored EveryReady Silver Tip brushes. :thumbsup:

Eveready Sunshine Brushes.jpg

200T (L), & F40

Women Shaving in Tub.jpg
"A good lather is half the shave". William Hone

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Quasiquxotic:
On another matter...;

proxy.php
Welcome aboard the B & B (besides being enrolled in the fictional, sacred and utopian Order of Shavedom). B & B is represented by a large number of Ladies, so please feel free to come up to the promenade / sun deck &

'sit-a-spell'.
proxy.php

Sounds like your off to a great start and on your way to shaving nirvana and 'The Zen of Shaving', and yes,...this Forum has the knowledge, ideas, and all around 'know-how' to assist in your Wet-Shaving experience. In a nut-shell...your 'gonna' love it here. :thumbsup:

Read More: League of Leg Shavers

Q. Now that you're with us...what brand of blades, soaps (ect...), are you working with
proxy.php

Many our Ladies & Gents experiences has been it's very wise to purchase a Razor Blade Sampler to see what blade would be a good fit (mild, moderate & aggressive, ect...), for your person and razor(s).

BTW, the Mrs. uses a vintage Lady Gillette razor with canned 'goo' [Aveeno Positively Smooth Shave Gel] one of my vintage EveryReady Sliver Tip and my Voshkod blades! :w00t:

Also, the Leg Shaving Wiki and the Female Shaving Video Requests maybe of great interest to you.

Additionally, please don't forget The 7 P's of Shaving...Prepare, Patience, Pressure, Practice, Persistence, Post shave

and Passion.
proxy.php

Lastly, please don't forget...once you get time....to tell us a little about yourself in the Hall of Fame sub-forum.

Women Shaving Legs -1.jpg
“Happiness is in the [shaving tools] that sweeps away the [uncertainties] of your heart”. Mort Walker

Last edited:
Thank you for all the welcomes!

I'm surprised by all the synthetic suggestions...good to know they are popular. I'll check them out.

Oh thank you for this link! I was looking for a thread like that and my search fu failed me. Thank you!

I'll post over the Hall of Fame to answer your questions.

In short I have a EJ DE89 and I'm working though some blade samples. I intend to try as many as I can find until trying isn't fun anymore and I have favorites I just want to use.

While doing that I want to master brushes and try a boat load of soap in the endless quest for the perfect set up.

At some point I'll probably buy another DE or a straight razor.

If you truly are considering using a straight, send me a message. I might just be able to get you going with a shave ready razor to try out to see if you would like it or not. :thumbup1:

:a47: For real? Because I really am...

I'm surprised by all the synthetic suggestions...good to know they are popular. I'll check them out.

Synthetics are great for shower environments, due to the water. Natural hair brushes need to dry out each day.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Id highly recommend the Muhle Silvertip Fibre. They make one in 25mm that is a beast. You can make so much lather with that thing and theyre very soft. Using Muhle synthetics has kind of spoiled me for using any badger or boar hair because theyre so soft. Maggard sells them for about $130.

I would have to concur with all those that said synthetic I brought my daughter a 26mm synthetic to shave her legs etc and she loves it. She likes the whole process of it now and treats it as "Her" time to pamper herself a bit ..

That sounds familiar.... does it not [emoji1604]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh thank you for this link! I was looking for a thread like that and my search fu failed me. Thank you!

I'll post over the Hall of Fame to answer your questions.

In short I have a EJ DE89 and I'm working though some blade samples. I intend to try as many as I can find until trying isn't fun anymore and I have favorites I just want to use.

While doing that I want to master brushes and try a boat load of soap in the endless quest for the perfect set up.

At some point I'll probably buy another DE or a straight razor.

:a47: For real? Because I really am...
Hers another good link from our members own experiences with a variety of quality affordable brushes suggestions
OK Guys/Gals, what are the 3 best brushes witihin reach for budget households?

Top Bottom