What's new

Lack of Humidity and Tobacco

Recently, the humidity went way down here and my poorly maintained humidor allowed some of my tobacco to dry out. :blushing:
What suggestions do you guys have to save my Cigars and Pipe smoke?
Thanks.

for the pipe tobacco:
Put tobacco in a bowl with enough room between the tobacco and the top of the bowl. put said tobacco in bowl. Cover with towel moistened with distilled water(preferrably). Make sure towel is not dripping wet as to get the tobacco wet. Put towel over bowl of tobacco. Keep moistening towel until tobacco is properly humidified.

Can't speak to the pipe tobacco, but if your cigars aren't too far gone(dry), you can re-humidify them. Ramp up the relative humdity in your box about ten percentage points and let the cigars sit in that environment for 2-3 days. Then repeat the procedure until you get the box up to somewhere between 65-70% RH.

Can't speak to the pipe tobacco, but if your cigars aren't too far gone(dry), you can re-humidify them. Ramp up the relative humdity in your box about ten percentage points and let the cigars sit in that environment for 2-3 days. Then repeat the procedure until you get the box up to somewhere between 65-70% RH.

+1. Cigars are actually pretty forgiving save getting their wrappers cracked!

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I currently have a REALLY cheap humidor, hence the problem.
Knowing this and not being willing to correct it, I don't buy GOOD tobacco unless it is going to be consumed within the week. It is nice to have a local and friendly smoke shop in the area.

None of it is a loss. (Couple of Romeo e Juliettas and some shop blended pipe tobacco)

Again thanks for the suggestions and I guess eventually I will have to upgrade my humidor.

As long as it's lined with spanish cedar, there's nothing wrong with an inexpensive humidor. With any humidor you have to season (hydrate) it first, and calibrate the hygrometer (sp?) for it to do any good. BTW, I wouldn't put pipe tobacco in a humidor. I use mason jars. Have fun.

Pipe tobacco I rehydrate by using distilled water in a spray bottle set to mist. Spritz it, shake it up, spritz it, shake it up, then put in a ziplock or mason jar for a couple days.

As long as it's lined with spanish cedar, there's nothing wrong with an inexpensive humidor. With any humidor you have to season (hydrate) it first, and calibrate the hygrometer (sp?) for it to do any good. BTW, I wouldn't put pipe tobacco in a humidor. I use mason jars. Have fun.

The caveat being that most humidors do not keep a good seal (expensive and cheap alike). I'd test the humidor before buying, which is why it's so hard to purchase online. Do the lid closing technique. Let it fall a few inches from closing. It should create the cushion of air making a soft close and not a snapping sound.

If you want a humidor with the best seal ever start by going to your local shop and picking up an empty box or two. Most shops will give them to you or care like $2-$3. Then get yourself an igloo cooler, that's right a cooler. They are well insulated which makes it more forgiving with temp changes and they have a great seal and cost all of $20. Let the cooler air out for a few days to get the plastic smell out, you can also wash it down with bakingsoda and water. Then put your boxes in along with a humidification device ( I personally use Heartfelt beads) and your ready to go. A great coolidor for around $30.
I have two 150 qt coolers that house all of my smokes and they work great. The best part is when you upsize now you have a cooler. You might also want to look into a digital hydrometer to let you know where the humidity is.
if you don't like the look of the igloo check out cheaphumidors.com or cubancrafters.com. they both make good boxes.
Hope this helps

Top Bottom