What's new

La Faulx by Atelier Durdan Pass Around…..

Good morning to all, I've been looking at this razor (La Faux) for somewhile now and have also read through this thread in it's entirety and I wondered if I could ask a question of you fellow shavers. Can anyone of you that has both the smooth comb and the grooved comb plates, please post a picture side by side of them both? Looking through the thread I think that most of the photos that have been posted are of the groomed comb plate, am I wrong here?

Edit: I haven't placed an order yet, as I recently put my name down for the second run of the Paradigm DB - but will do once this arrives.
I think I'm the only one on the entire site that has the open comb for some reason. It still amazes me no one else bought one. I can't do a picture to compare as I don't have the closed comb plate.

화면 캡처 2024-05-09 110343.png

View attachment 1842974
@HONG, many thanks for posting the above reviews for me and I must say that the open comb version of the AD La Faux, really does look like a monster and I'm not sure if I would be able to shave with this!!!.

EDIT: Please ignore, as I'm being an idiot - only 2 plates shown for the La Faux on the Comb (baseplates) dropdown menu - Closed and open. Sorry for any confusion caused here.

Last edited:
Ah, I see what you mean but I think that relates to the DE. La Faulx is only open or closed.

#501 is the closed comb, sand blasted.
Yes, agreed and I should have realised that myself so sorry for wasting peoples time and please understand that no offence was mean't by me in #528 above and this post has been edited to reflect that.

Last edited:
can the the razor be used at all angles? or is it more prone to a certain angle? shallow angle shaver here and am highly considering picking one up, but not if it requires a steeper angle, as my face gets irritated at steep angled razors sadly.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So, here goes another tour pass around that has been given the green light by the B&B Mods team (just to make sure everything is on the level) and I thank them once again for allowing this to run and take its course. Much appreciated Gents. Special thanks to @Toothpick for his courteous and prompt replies...:thumbup:

View attachment 1599947
View attachment 1599946
View attachment 1599948
View attachment 1599950
View attachment 1599949

I would also like to take a quick moment to thank the sponsor of this tour pass around, Augustin from @Atelier DURDAN for making this possible and allowing us the opportunity to try a truly wonderfully crafted razor for our enjoyment. I/We greatly appreciate the generosity and kindness extended to us by this artisan producer in experiencing one of his exquisite creations.

I anticipate in starting this pass-around within a week so, to those who have never tried and would be interested in taking the La Faulx Artist Club style SE for a test shave run, please read on….:drool:

General Requirements for Participation
Active B&B members in "good standing" are welcome to send me a PM (optional) regarding participating in the tour pass-around. I would suggest active and good standing infers you have been around B&B for at least a few months (3months and at least 50-75 posts) and are actively participating in the community. If you are active on other shaving forums and are new to B&B, I will take that into consideration. And if you do not qualify today but have interest, you may become eligible as the tour unfolds..... so please feel free to send me a PM and I can add you to the "reserve" list.

Following are the rules which are simply intended to keep the tour fair, fun, and safe.

1. Please limit your time with the gear to 7 days. This should be enough time for some quality shaves and impressions. There will be exceptions, and if you know ahead of time your schedule will be limited (e.g., vacation, job constraints, travel) please let me know so we can adjust the order and keep the momentum going.

2. The package will contain a La Faulx SE Razor and I will include two blade cartridge packs, a Schick Proline & Feather Professional blades. You're more than welcome to use your own of course. The blade package should allow for at least 20 participants to try the razor assuming those participants have no AC blades on hand. If we have more participants than the supplied blades will accommodate, I will send additional blades onto the road when we reach that point.

3. I am shipping the razor clean and sterilized. Please do the same before handing it off to the next member/participant. Soap/warm water, Isopropy, Barbecide and Scrubby Bubbles are fine. No harsh chemicals that contain ammonia or bleach. Also no hard brushes of any kind as not to scratch up the finish. The manufacturer is aware that it will be impossible to keep it at an impeccable state due to wear, tear and use while one shaves, just be mindful and take the best care possible while it is in your possession.

4. Carefully wrap and ship the package in the same box (unless damaged from shipping & handling then the user would need to replace with another small priority box) as the pass around will be using USPS Priority as the sole shipping provider. It will be shipping in a small Priority Mail flat rate box to maintain consistency and the best potential protection possible. The retail price of the razor is over $400US and there is an expectation that each participant insure the package for $400 in order to recoup most of the costs should something go awry. Total costs for Priority Mail & insurance will be in the range of $12.00-$18.00US per participant, depending on region from shipping which you might consider as the "cost of admission" for the tour. If you find the costs of shipping & insuring the item unreasonable or have no access to a US Mail facility in your area, please do not sign up for the pass around. Once you are done with your shaves and time with the razor, you must provide proof of tracking & insurance via a pm to me so that I may track the package during shipping. Also, it allows me to file a proper claim if the razor were to be damaged, lost in transit or just drops from the grid. This is a must and no other exceptions will be permitted!

5. Communicate. Please post in this thread when you receive the razor and when it ships. Upon receipt, please contact the next person on the list in order to have their shipping information on-hand when your time with the razor is over. Please PM me as needed or if you have any questions. It is never fun to track you down if you are in possession of the razor and have gone off the grid.

6. Post Reviews! Please share your impressions, good or bad, with your fellow B&B members. I am in no way affiliated with the vendor and am simply sharing so that members can try the razor and share their experience. And yes, we’d love to see your pics, Gents!!!

7. Have fun.

Just copy from here and paste it to your post with your screen name/tag.

La Faulx Pass Around List.
GlazedBoker
Beautiful razor, and incredibly nice of you for facilitating this my friend!

Are we due for another Dollar Store razor challenge, lol?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
can the the razor be used at all angles? or is it more prone to a certain angle? shallow angle shaver here and am highly considering picking one up, but not if it requires a steeper angle, as my face gets irritated at steep angled razors sadly.
The La Faulx seems to work on the shallow than neutral angle, given the long protrusion of the base plate. I haven't even considered on trying it riding the safety bar.... I can't imagine it would work well at all.

Hi everyone,
For those that use it , what plate is comparable to the vector in efficiency?
Many thanks!
I don't have the Vector anymore. But from memory the ++ is pretty close.

On a side note: I am close to completing a run of sessions with the La Faulx ++, and the relatively difficult to source Kai Select Premium guard blade. The combination has proven to be transformational with this plate. It took the ++ to a new level of smoothness and comfort, with a modest reduction in efficiency. This combination may be taking over my historical favorite: the La Faulx classic plate with Feather Pro Super blade.

Edit: I would also consider the classic plate with Feather Pro Super blade for high effectiveness with comfort. But you would be locked in to that combination, given the unique additional exposure of the Pro Super.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
For those that use it , what plate is comparable to the vector in efficiency?
Many thanks!
IMO, you're going to need to go ++ or +++ to be in the Vector arena. I'm using the ++ and it's fairly close to the Vector. I was having second thoughts while the razor was in transit about the fact that the ++ might be too aggressive. Once I took delivery and after a weeks worth of shaves, I'm glad I didn't go with a + or Classic base plate.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
IMO, you're going to need to go ++ or +++ to be in the Vector arena. I'm using the ++ and it's fairly close to the Vector. I was having second thoughts while the razor was in transit about the fact that the ++ might be too aggressive. Once I took delivery and after a weeks worth of shaves, I'm glad I didn't go with a + or Classic base plate.
Now that there are so many +, ++, and even +++s out in the world, I would love to try at least the + and ++, though I’m already getting great results with the Classic. Extra base plates are an expensive trial, to be sure.

Top Bottom