What's new

Knot size- is bigger better

linty1

My wallet cries.
For me it kinda depends on how the brush performs/splays etc, In general 24mm is a good ballpark for me, but I've had 26mm's brushes that were way, -way- too big/dense (a Cayuen brush) and a 24mm Shavemac that I know will never get used again because the bulb knot is way too small. As an aside I have a Chubby2 that I really like. So it really depends. But 24mm is prob mine.

I've been using my T3 exclusively, since I got it a few months ago. I'm a face-latherer, too. Couldn't be happier.

I guess it's YMMV 😉

I've been using my T3 exclusively, since I got it a few months ago. I'm a face-latherer, too. Couldn't be happier.

I guess it's YMMV 😉
I don't have a problem with the T3 other than its a messy brush which i'm not sure if its due to the sheer size of it or the synth bristles seem to be quite stiff/springy. Lather flies everywhere. I like the T3, but for me, no synthetic can match the feel of natural hair.

I don't have a problem with the T3 other than its a messy brush which i'm not sure if its due to the sheer size of it or the synth bristles seem to be quite stiff/springy. Lather flies everywhere. I like the T3, but for me, no synthetic can match the feel of natural hair.
Lather flies everywhere??? 🙄

I've never experienced anything like that.

Maybe, you need to work on your lathering game? 😉

I have roughly 50 brushes that I use depending on my whim for the day. They range form a Wee Scott (14mm I think) to brushes larger than a Kent BK12 (seems to be a 30 mm). The bushes I use for travel the most are 16 mm and a few 18 mm. I have had to make the 16 mm brushes myself and hunt for the handles. Knots for those from TGN. Lots of 20 mm, 22 mm, 24 mm, several 26 mm, a couple of 28 mm, and a half dozen or so 30 mm. I enjoy them all. I enjoy the 30 mm brushes the most. Larger mugs are needed with the bigger brushes. There is nothing like the feel of a large brush full of lather. Nothing.

Like most things in wet shaving, knot size is very much YMMV. A lot depends on whether your bowl lather or face lather. Some folks who face lather like smaller brushes. I bowl lather and love brushes in the 24-26mm range. I have one 28mm Maggard SHD brush that is so large that I have difficulty using it, but if the brush were less dense, it would probably be fine.

I purchased a Simpson Tralfager T2 synthetic brush. I liked the brush but due to the knot shape, it was too small for my liking. I purchased a T3 brush and love it.

Manufactuerers make a lot of different knots with different shapes, diameters and lofts because there is no such thing as one size fits all.

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I know there are a lot of excellent contenders out there, but for me the Kent BK4 is the sweet spot for face lathering. I also have a Chubby 1 in best badger, a little smaller and thicker, which might be an excellent face latherer, but I'll never know because it is such a shedder it infuriates me. It is hard to assess a brush when you are mad at an inanimate object. My plan is that when it has not got enough bristles I'll get a BK4S (synthetic).

Typically, in the 24-26 mm range, which I consider nowadays more than adequate for face lathering.

Early on, I used to buy even larger sizes, but my most recent purchases were all 24 mm sizes.

B.

Top Bottom