What's new

Knot size- is bigger better

i don't have a large collection of brushes like many in here and all of them are i would say on the smaller size 22-24 mm. I bought a Simpsons T3 Trafalger a few months ago and thought the brush was huge- turns out its a real lather flinger so i don't use it that much and went back to my badgers. Noticed on various social media outlets that most gents are lathering with these huge brushes 26 to 30 mm and up. They splay that knot so hard it instantly coats one side of the face with lather. I am a face lather-er only so i suppose i am missing something with these giant knots. Why are the smaller knots considered better for face lathering, anyway? I always thought it was strange to have this huge knot that looks like a barbers brush just to apply lather to the face. I am pretty content with the smaller sized brushes like the Eagle G2 and my new beagle shavemac. Was tossing the idea around of maybe trying a simpsons chubby 2 or 3 as my next brush purchase.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Chubby 1, Super. You'll thank me. A Chubby 2 is an experience, but I find it too big for daily use as a face lathering brush. I use mine 3 or 4 times a year. Others will contradict me on that, but I find 22-24mm Simpsons perfect for face lathering.

How do you like your Beagle?

For awhile I did favor the larger brushes for face-lathering, 26-27 mm but lately I seem to prefer the smaller knots like 23-24 mm for face-lathering. I still like a 26 mm for bowl-lathering.
Now I have been using my Muhle STF 23 mm knot for face-lathering and my Big Bruce synthetic 26 mm for bowl-lathering.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I found the Chubby 2 Super to be too large, I simply did not enjoy face lathering with it. I also had a Chubby 3 in Super and that was almost absurd, a comedy brush bordering on unusable, but many people love them. For me the Chubby 1 or Duke 3 are the perfect size as I can vigorously lather without getting soap on both sides of my face at the same time. I love all the small Simpson brushes.

Chubby 1, Super. You'll thank me. A Chubby 2 is an experience, but I find it too big for daily use as a face lathering brush. I use mine 3 or 4 times a year. Others will contradict me on that, but I find 22-24mm Simpsons perfect for face lathering.

How do you like your Beagle?
Love the Beagle. It's my first 2 band Silvertip brush. I was thinking of trying a eagle G3 in 2 band also. So many choices.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Most of my brushes are 22>26mm and that is big enough for myself, 24mm is my sweet spot it seems. Some times to big a knot is a waste of soap IMO. Fellows who head shave might like the bigger knots because of the surface area needed to lather?

I both bowl and face lather as the mood hits me and prefer brushes that range from 26 to 28 mm. It really is a matter of personal preference. The larger brushes feel better on my face and make sufficient lather for a 4-pass face and neck shave and 2-pass head shave.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I have several 20mm knots I use regularly. I particularly like the Berkeley. Small, yes, but well proportioned and densely packed in best. Suits my face lathering preferences and holds enough lather for my two pass shaves. For fun, I also have a Trafalgar T3 which has a ridiculously large synthetic knot. It’s a monster compared to what I usually use, but I’ll like it. Overall though, I prefer a smaller knot.

I have several 20mm knots I use regularly. I particularly like the Berkeley. Small, yes, but well proportioned and densely packed in best. Suits my face lathering preferences and holds enough lather for my two pass shaves. For fun, I also have a Trafalgar T3 which has a ridiculously large synthetic knot. It’s a monster compared to what I usually use, but I’ll like it. Overall though, I prefer a smaller knot.

+1

Another vote for 19 mm Berkeley. This is an impressive small brush for face lathering.

Top Bottom