What's new

Knock-off colognes

Has anyone tried any of the cologne knock-offs and felt like they got a good deal? Where did you get it? It would be great to find a source for clones of expensive colognes that are sold at a fraction of the price of the originals. :biggrin:

I have not found a knock off that would be worth the savings. In this regard, you really do get what you pay for. Good luck with the search, though!

Cool
What are you trying to duplicate, perhaps someone could make a suggestion for a similar scent.

I have not found a knock off that would be worth the savings. In this regard, you really do get what you pay for. Good luck with the search, though!

You are probably right, but I hope not. I can't help but think that colognes just might be an industry racket. It's the skeptic in me, I guess.... and that's only the beginning of what I suspect is askew regarding the pricing of cosmetic / grooming products.

Floris 89 perhaps?:biggrin: Okay, that might be asking for a bit much... but maybe, Penhaligon's or Acqua di Parma? Anyone of the classics might do.

Guerlain Habit Rouge comes close to Floris 89. It actually lasts longer than #89You can find it here at a great price. http://www.scentiments.com/Product/SkuInfo.aspx?id=96837

4711 comes close to Acqua Di Parma. It does not last as long but it's a great classic scent. You can find it here at a great price. http://www.scentiments.com/Product/SkuInfo.aspx?id=95101

As far as the drugstore knock offs, you get what you pay for IMHO. They don't last as long and they smell like wanna bes.

"Knock offs" (note the quotes) from our on-line shave goddesses (the Sues) is an entirely different matter. You get way more than you paid for.

I love Paul Sebastian for Men. I have bought a 'knock-off' of it at the flea market made by Park Plaza, and it is 'right-on' as far as scent is concerned and it actually lasts longer than the original. There used to be a little place called The Perfumery nearby here that also carried 'versions' and theirs was equally as goodl; they have since closed -- owner retired.

These are the only two I have found that were any good. I will admit is seems to be rare to find a really good 'version' or 'knock-off'.

My guess is that knock-offs of synthetic scents could be OK. Knock offs of essential oil-based scents would not be as good since the cost partly due to the use of expensive EOs. In general you get what you pay for and the market usually weeds out seriously overpriced products.

Guerlain Habit Rouge comes close to Floris 89. It actually lasts longer than #89You can find it here at a great price. http://www.scentiments.com/Product/SkuInfo.aspx?id=96837

4711 comes close to Acqua Di Parma. It does not last as long but it's a great classic scent. You can find it here at a great price. http://www.scentiments.com/Product/SkuInfo.aspx?id=95101

Thanks Austin. Those two are going to be hard to pass up. I'll be ordering them soon. (as soon as I read the latest B&B posts of course :biggrin: )

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I suspect there is little chance of getting a high quality product as a cheap knock-off. And there may even be copyright issues, so the knock-off artists have to not get the reproduction bang-on.

Has anyone tried any of the cologne knock-offs and felt like they got a good deal? Where did you get it? It would be great to find a source for clones of expensive colognes that are sold at a fraction of the price of the originals. :biggrin:

Hello gents. Hope I'm not out of line in responding to my own thread, but I can't help myself. I ordered three colognes from Classical Match and they arrived in the mail this morning. I've been wearing the Polo knock off for about 3+ hours now and !WOW!.... I like it! At $9 a bottle, I can't see how it can be beat (if you like Polo) It's wonderful for the summer weather... cool, fresh and w/ a hint of complexity too! I haven't tried the other two colognes that came with my order, but if they are as good as the "Polo", Classical Match will continue to be on my bookmarked list. I'm not a hoity-toity type guy, but I know what I like, and I like this product. Just want to share. Btw, the other two cloognes I ordered are knock-off versions of Emporio Armanni and Acqua Di Gio (both are $9) If anyone is interested in my opinion of these, let me know and I will post a report in a few days.

Hello gents. Hope I'm not out of line in responding to my own thread, but I can't help myself. I ordered three colognes from Classical Match and they arrived in the mail this morning. I've been wearing the Polo knock off for about 3+ hours now and !WOW!.... I like it! At $9 a bottle, I can't see how it can be beat (if you like Polo) It's wonderful for the summer weather... cool, fresh and w/ a hint of complexity too! I haven't tried the other two colognes that came with my order, but if they are as good as the "Polo", Classical Match will continue to be on my bookmarked list. I'm not a hoity-toity type guy, but I know what I like, and I like this product. Just want to share. Btw, the other two cloognes I ordered are knock-off versions of Emporio Armanni and Acqua Di Gio (both are $9) If anyone is interested in my opinion of these, let me know and I will post a report in a few days.

Maybe I overlooked it, but can you post a link to the site where you ordered these?

Gents, I do caution you that knock off colognes are usually made from synthetic compounds (fragrance). They come close to mimicking the scent but it will never be the same. One good thing though is that because of their synthetic composition they usually last longer.

Gents, I do caution you that knock off colognes are usually made from synthetic compounds (fragrance).

Aren't the majority of even high end colognes made using synthetic fragrances, at least in large part, these days?

-Mo

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Respond all you want; we're glad to hear from you!

Glad to hear that you found the scents you wanted at a price you like! You mentioned trying the Polo knock-off, but have you been a 'real' Polo user before (that is, do you know Polo well enough to say what, if any, differences there are?)

Maybe I overlooked it, but can you post a link to the site where you ordered these?

Not a lot whole lot of selection, but here it is, Ron:

http://www.delagar.us/fragrances_for_him.html

While I'm here I'll make a few more comments rather than posting separately.
Regarding "sythetics," Austin, I suspect you are correct in surmising that the cologne copies aren't made with essential oils; but, truth be told I don't care. When I can spend $9, instead of $43, for a cologne that I like, I'll opt for the cheaper price every time. Having said that, I must admit (Doc4) that I haven't ever bought the the 'real' Polo (and it's unlikely that I will as long as I'm satisfied with what I have.) I'll add, that cologne isn't high on my list of priorities... I enjoy a nice scent, but I'm not hooked on having "The Best." Truth be told, it's unlikely that I could tell an expensive cologne from a moderatly priced one. If a knock-off cologne comes reasonably close to a nice name brand cologne and is sold at a much lesser price, I'm going to take advantage of that. I can use the money I saved to get something else, which I would likely not have bought had I spent big bucks on cologne. Anyway, It's going on 6 hours now and the scent is still with me. Can't wait to try one my other fakes tomorrow. Maybe we should start a thread named "cheap stuff I like" :biggrin1:

UPDATE: I tried the Classic Match version of Acqua Di Gio and it is very nice. I never tried the original ADG, so I can't compare. It would be nice if someone who has tried both would comment. Anway, it's not as long-lasting as the Classic Match Polo copy-cat... only about 2 1/2 hours at most. The third copy-cat from Classic Match that I tried was Emporiao Armani. I found this to be quite subtle and very short-lived, more like an aftershave than any cologne I ever tried. Actaully, it is classified as a Eau de toilette, so I suppose it's intended to be more like an aftershave than a long-lasting-cologne. Btw, all three CM products are advertised as being made from essential oils.

My experience is that you get what you pay for. I've tried a few "knock off" scents, and while they tend to start off nice, the either don't last or the dry down sucks. I'll stick with originals.

Randy

Top Bottom