What's new

Knack diy handle

R

romsitsa

Hello,

I'll hopefully continue the handles next week, plum for the diamond plate Slim, mahogany for the square Slim, not sure about the inlays.
With almost all versions at hand, it's interesting to see how this razor evolved and engineers figured new ways to cut back brass consumption.
While the diamond base plate Slim is basically a thin head Rocket, the G1000 has all "unnecessary" brass removed.

If the handles will fit, I'll convert a wooden award box to make a case for the trio.

IMG_3833.JPG IMG_3834.JPG

Adam

R

romsitsa

Hello,

some further steps. The Rocket head Slim got a plum handle with nickel silver and bone inlay, the standard Slim a rose root handle, also with bone. All function as new.
The case was a cigar case and is in progress, it will hold two blade cases, but I can't decide on using Vesta style or a later quick dispenser by Gillette or vintage whit plastic Wilkinsons.

We will see.

IMG_3849.JPG

Adam

R

romsitsa

Thank you.
It was raining all day, so veneered the inside spacer and the lid, here is a short clip:

Think I'll use hidden magnets as a locking mechanism for the case.

Adam

Those look gorgeous, quality work!
Why not make 7 for an each day of the week shave? haha

edit: Saw my question about finish answered in the original post. Too enthralled with the pictures. haha

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Nice work! I plan on doing something similar with my birth year/quarter Super Slim Twist at some point, though I think I'll most likely to a different handle shape. I haven't settled on what material to use yet though, and I got swathes of other projects lined up too.

R

romsitsa

My first DE was my dads a Slim, then I saw the Knack and even later realised that there is an earlier Slim with a Rocket head. To my knowledge there are no further Slim head types, so this is why it's a trio.

I would like to build a seven days set, but there are no Gillettes of the same type with seven distinctive head designs (Aristocrats are over the top and I don't really feel the Superspeeds).
Maybe I'll make a similar case for my US and British LC, RFB, SC, NI. Although all these have their own cases and I'm still missing a Deluxe head and a NEW based Goodwill.

Adam

R

romsitsa

Made another one, simple mahogany, loosely based on the Slim twist handle design.

A1399E4D-30D8-4B62-BCC5-0EB7DD79E2ED.jpeg

Adam

R

romsitsa

Made a “floating” stand for the Twist from spare mahogany.

3F07D939-F547-404F-9B0F-BCCA000FA246.jpeg B30EA45B-B010-4C85-B524-C3DDE7681AF7.jpeg 0E6A1AB2-A89F-4BC1-B4AF-05B39188EBA9.jpeg

Adam

Bravo. The knack was my first razor as a young teenager. I still have it in fact. Great to see a Knack getting a new life. Just great.

R

romsitsa

And an all brass Slim twist, still in progress.

08D30A6D-5063-45D0-8722-E7B18F22707F.jpeg

Adam

R

romsitsa

The all brass is finished, a “hammered” with mahogany handle is in progress.

42C500AA-B4CE-44B7-9F2B-587ADF23437A.jpeg

Adam

Top Bottom