What's new

KMF/Tom's of Maine- worthwhile?

Tom's...like others, I just couldn't get over the toothpaste smell. Not for me.

KMF: to me, it is just OK. Not terrible by any means, but nothing special. For a little bit more, I say get yourself the TOBS (or even proraso, for that matter).

Tom's via face lathering, outstanding and very minty.

It seems everything I read lately is another testimony to the efficacy of 'Face Lathering', an approach that I've used very little since my return to wet shaving 3 years ago. I have been 90 to 95 percent a cream user and have grown accustomed, or shall I say addicted, to building a lather in my 5" diameter soup mug. I am, however, trying to force myself to add some soaps into my rotation, but once one experiences the luxuriously warm, rich and creamy mug lather of creams it's hard to change.

I use TOM Mint in my mug but this could be a good opportunity to teach myself [an old dog] to do a new trick and 'face lather'. However, the hurdle for me to overcome is that I absolutely can't stand the thoughts of not having warm lather. So, how do you achieve that by just squirting some cold TOM on the brush and shoving it into your face? I do have a scuttle I could use once I got through the first pass I suppose.

Inquiring minds want to know? :confused:

I find KMF to be superior to Proraso, but I just wasn't a proraso kind of guy. I traded my almost full tube for some Col Conk soaps, and never looked back.

It seems everything I read lately is another testimony to the efficacy of 'Face Lathering', an approach that I've used very little since my return to wet shaving 3 years ago. I have been 90 to 95 percent a cream user and have grown accustomed, or shall I say addicted, to building a lather in my 5" diameter soup mug. I am, however, trying to force myself to add some soaps into my rotation, but once one experiences the luxuriously warm, rich and creamy mug lather of creams it's hard to change.

I use TOM Mint in my mug but this could be a good opportunity to teach myself [an old dog] to do a new trick and 'face lather'. However, the hurdle for me to overcome is that I absolutely can't stand the thoughts of not having warm lather. So, how do you achieve that by just squirting some cold TOM on the brush and shoving it into your face? I do have a scuttle I could use once I got through the first pass I suppose.

Same thing that warms your mug lather. Warm water on the brush.

I like the KMF unscented to add to soaps. The lavender didn't smell bad but I've never used it. Tom's looks good, and smells ok, but I've never used it either. I agree with everyone here that they're probably both worth having, as they're so inexpensive.

... can't stand the thoughts of not having warm lather. So, how do you achieve that by just squirting some cold TOM on the brush and shoving it into your face? I do have a scuttle I could use once I got through the first pass I suppose.

Why not squirt some of the goop into your mug and let it sit in hot water while you shower (or whatever other shave prep you use)?

KMF has proven to me to be a decent cream, although the lavender scent is lacking in scent. Toms of Maine is better though, although harder to lather. The secret to lathering Toms is to soak the tube in hot water for a couple of minutes, that allows the cream to dissolve faster.

Top Bottom