What's new

Klenzo B1009 Restoration – TGN Super Silvertip

This is another eBay find from a few months ago that I finally tackled. Here are the “before” photos:
$Klenzo Before A.jpg$Klenzo Before B.jpg

And here are the “after” photos:
$Klenzo After A.jpg$Klenzo After B.jpg$Klenzo After C.jpg

I was looking forward to painting the lettering on the handle because, although very fine, the impressions are detailed and uniform in depth. Candidly, I’m disappointed in how the painting turned out. It’s okay, but I was hoping for a better outcome. A complicating factor was that the handle was in the early stages of turning butterscotch, and I had hoped to preserve the patina. That didn’t work out too well, either. The amount of light sanding and polishing needed for the top portion of the handle removed much of the patina, leaving a two-tone handle. Ultimately, I may polish out the bottom portion of the handle to match the top.

The socket had to be enlarged a few millimeters to accept the 20mm TGN Silvertip knot I chose. The loft is set at 53mm.
I haven’t yet used the brush (waiting for the epoxy to cure), but I’m eager to see how it performs. In any event, I’m happy to attempt to answer any questions about the restoration. Thanks for taking a look.

I would not give the paint a second thought because it mimics an aged fading paint which adds authenticity to the handle. Good work. Enjoy!

Looks very much like a Star handle I restored. Unfortunately the thin wall of the base cracked. I cleaned out as much of the plaster I could and epoxied it. I like your choice of red paint. Brings the handle to life!
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/208138-Three-restores-ER-100-Mohawk-Star
Snargle has a beautiful black version.

Thanks, FL shaver. I somehow managed to have missed the thread on your Star restoration-- nice job on that one, by the way. And Larry's black brush is stunning.

Yep, looks very similar to my black Star. I suspect that a lot of these brushes were made in the same factory, using the same molds, templates, etc. and they just engraved different names on the finished products. My Star is still one of my favorite brushes, despite the repaired cracks at the base. Those plaster-filled handles are a royal pain, but with patience and care, they can be tamed!

I wouldn't fret about losing some of the butterscotch coloring...give it another 15 or 20 years and it'll be back again! :thumbup1:

Thanks, Larry-- maybe someday I'll run across a black one like your Star. And, yep, with time the butterscotch will return! :biggrin1:

Top Bottom