What's new

KLENZO B 985 Brush with silver tip

Been a while since I've tinkered with a brush project. But this is my very first KLENZO restore. Not sure if they're all like this but this one is well built. It's solid unlike the hollow Ever Ready brushes I'm used to. Looks like it was actually turned and not molded.

I dropped in a generic silvertip knot from eBay. Had to open the hole up to accommodate a deeper set. The loft on the knot was way too much for a silvertip.

Anyone have history on these brushes? The only thing I know is that it was an old Rexall brand.

IMG_7037.JPG

I don't know anything about them other than it's a nice classic shape for a handle. The restoration looks great. You've got a nice shine, you cleaned up the rough area around the hole to where it looks like there was never any issue to begin with, and the new knot is a perfect fit. Enjoy using that and let us know how it works. Also, what vendor was the knot from? I've tried 5 different Chinese vendors on ebay, I'm curious to see who yours came from and what you think of it.

Thanks. I bought the knot from eBay seller ace shaving. It was $17 and change for a 20mm silvertip knot.

Good things about this knot: first, it's beautiful. Great colors and an even black band. The tips are super soft! Feels like a synthetic brush. It came with only minor badger odor. One shampoo with Dawn got rid of almost all the puppy smell. It's dense but not quite as dense as a Simpson brush.

The bad thing: hardly any backbone. This would be perfect with a TOBS cream. But I have a difficult time getting enough soap on it when I use a puck. I shaved with it again this morning and couldnt put enough pressure on the brush without it spreading apart and getting knotted up. Maybe I just need to get used to silvertip shaving?

I love the classically shaped handle in butterscotch. It's like a poor man's Simpson.

I've tried Ace knots, except they were two band badgers which have a lot more backbone than a silvertip. They did seem a little underfilled to me but bloomed out much nicer than expected and aren't bad at all for the money. That being said, a few bucks more will get a VIG complete with a massive glue bump but a bit more hair. It doesn't have as much backbone as my other two bands but bridges the gap nicely between them and a silvertip, although mine could be a fluke.

And yes, that classic looking handle in butterscotch is a thing of beauty. I wish I could match the color so I could cast a blank to look like it.

The knot bloomed nicely. I shaved with it again this morning but this time with a Stirling Soap. Big difference! Lots of great lather and no problem loading the brush at all. The knot is a little floppy moppy. But it's a nice feeling on the face. The tips are super soft.

IMG_7074.JPG

I actually ordered a Vig Shaving knot for a previous Ever Ready resto. But a black pure badger model. I don't shave with it though. Unfortunately way to poky for my tender face. You're saying that the Vig Shaving silvertip knots are more dense or more backbone or both?

IMG_7075.JPG

Top Bottom