What's new

King of Shaves Azor Test Day 1

I've had my Azor for a few weeks now. This really is a fantastic razor and beats any of the multi-blade cartridge razors I've used in the past - by a wide margin. The almost horizontal positioning of the blades to the handle and the flexibility of the handle allows me to get a really close shave in just a couple of passes without any nicks or cuts.

Not a touch on the DE but for a quick shave on a busy day, this really can't be beat imho. With the summer upon us down-under I've started riding the bike to work. This is the perfect blade for a quick shave in the shower at work without a mirror.

I just love to see an old thread come back to life again. :001_smile

I have to agree with both Aevum and MOVIESTAR. I could use the Azor for at least 3 or 4 shaves till my neck was all red and irritated again; mach3 and wilkinson protector do just that in one single shave! :biggrin:

I really wanted to like this razor because I've been a user of KOS products in the past and have been happy with all of their products. I used it for the first time today and it was extremely awkward to use and did not provide a very close shave. The fact this is a 4-bladed razor, I assumed I could get a nice shave with little effort; unfortunately this wasn't the case. The size of the razor head makes it very difficult to shave near the sideburns and under the nose. Based on my first impressions of this razor, I think I will stick with my Sensor Excel when in need of a cartridge shave.

I know this is a pretty old thread now, but I just discovered it.

For you guys here in the US - what online retailer seems to have the largest selection of KOS products? I'm having a really hard time finding ANY retailer that offers more than just one of the shave gel varieties. Additionally, Target is the only place I've been able to find *any* KOS products - and they only have one shave gel at that. Not exactly much of a selection.

Is KOS stuff hard to find here in the US mainly because it's a company based in the UK?

Thanks

I joined here just to comment on my experiences. For many years I did shave electric. As a teenager, not knowing the slightest and with no role models I did not get on with wet shaving or know what to do (before the internet). Recently as my electric shaver got worse and worse, again faced with spending lots of money on a new one or minimum quite a lot on replacement heads again and not being that happy with the shave really, especially on the neck, I thought I would try wet shaving and it is much better and good.

I have done brushes and pucks and exfoliators and double edges and disposable and all sorts. My conclusion is, for me only, I do face wash, then scrub, then clinique shave cream by hand (expensive but quick and good), or WS shaving puck and brush if I have time. Then I use either Mach 3 or KoS 4.

I find the Mach 3 quick and good and feels like a nice shave. I don't like shaving with the KoS as much, but, imho shaving quickly with both the KoS is better and closer. But, if spending a lot of time on it, the Mach 3 can be as close, if not closer due to the time (rarely) and a more enjoyable shave. I suppose I am saying I feel a bit silly and less of a man using the KoS, perhaps the Macho Gillette advertising got to me.

Btw re DE shaving, I agree is good, but if don't have time can be uneven, for me, time is very much the fourth dimension and important, therefore the KoS shaves it and very much is the King of Shaves ;-). I am not affiliated to them in any way, indeed I have personal reasons to dislike Portsmouth, but that's my opinion any way. Best shave I ever got, was a Hydro 5 tied with DE. Just DE took too long and H5 took too long, or gives me bumps if I rush. If he wants to send me some azor 4 blades they would be appreciated. I do also comment that I am surprised by how much I have been influenced by (Gillette) marketing.

I also add that I find the necessary shaving under my nose can be a logistical nightmare with the larger head shavers and think the KoS 4 is the largest head I can make do with without when doing that it being uncomfortable.

Final comment. I find I can only shave with the grain or I get razor burn and my grain is weird, makes it a bit strange in my bathroom in the mornings, I feel a bit conspicuous with the KoS and slightly less so with the M3.

Last edited:
I had a hard time getting a good smooth shave with the Azor last night. I used the Alpha gel. I use DE's the vast majority of the time but I like trying whats new out there just to see what its all about. The problem I have with this razor is that for some reason it takes a lot of repeat passes to get my face smooth. And as of right now with a little growth the shave was uneven. Also the razor itself has a flaw. The little "pins" the hold the cart on are very soft and fragile. I had to return my first one because the cart started coming loose. I like the design because it has a futuristic look to it. But nothing beats a good DE. One thing I noticed about King Of Shaves is that they hype their product up a lot with fancy jargon to make it sound amazing. Its neat but not mind blowing.

My purchase a week ago (and subsequent binning a day later) of the Azor is what finally pushed me (at age 39) into starting down the DE safety razor path. Thanks KoS!

Top Bottom