What's new

Kiehl’s Shave Cream : Major Dissapointment

I’ll start with the positives ( there aren’t many ). It gives good slickness, and leaves a cooling sensation on the face as you put it on. The scent I don’t care for much but it seems to be somewhat minty.

The negatives. Where do i start?

This is a brushless shaving cream but i still wanted to use a brush since the whole ritual of developing lather and putting it on my face is among the most enjoyable aspects of wet shaving for me. I thought i could do that here too, so i dabbed on some cream on my Boar brush and attempted to face lather as I usually do with my other soaps and creams. My brush ended up getting stiff! The more I tried to face lather, the less cream i seemed to be applying. I finally gave in, washed my face and brush, and then put the cream on my face directly. It worked fine then. The coat was fairly thin. I shaved with my Wilkinson Sword and Astra blade, and it glided along fine however quite bit of cream was getting caught up in my razor. Much more than usual, so i had to rinse it quite often. Usually i only need to rinse it 3 times during one pass ( one for either cheek, and one for the neck ) but over here i had to rinse it what 9-10 times? Very frustrating.

Also, after i was done with the each pass i had to apply the cream again which is never an issue with a brush since there is enough lather to get 3 comfortable passes dine.

Lastly, after I completed my shave and washed my face with cold water, I noticed 2-3 razor bumps. Obviously I wasn’t getting enough protection with this cream. There was even a nick.

Im a daily shaver and my morning shave is among the highlights of my day. It almost sets the tone for a fantastic day ahead but today wasn’t that case. Thankfully I could fall back on my weekend Adidas aftershave and some Calvin Klein cologne to save the morning.

I will not be using this cream again. Even when i travel. I would rather use a canned gel or cream than this latherless monstrosity. This product is an insult to people who enjoy the ritual of shaving. Don’t waste your time or money with it.

My apologies to people might enjoy using it. To each their own i guess.

Front of cream :
proxy.php

List of ingredients :
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiehl's has been around for a long time. They have produced a number of shaving products none of which have impressed me. At one time they actually had a cream that was meant for a brush (I think it was called Lite Flight). It was horrible. They do have some skincare products that are good - but their shaving cream is dreadful.

I don’t understand why it is disappointing that a brushless cream doesn’t work well with a brush. What were you expecting? Did you try it without a brush?

I do understand the preference for using a brush and lathering cream; but if that’s the case, why bother with a non- lathering cream and why be appalled and disappointed when it apparently performs like a non-lathering cream?

There are so many creams and soaps that work great with a brush. This is obviously not one of them. Might work great as intended though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiehl’s seems to be just another expensive mediocre product seller. I feel bad because my niece spent her money to give me a Xmas present....
If you want a cream that doesn't lather BUT works well: Trader Joe's Mangoe shaving cream....amazingly good; and a fraction of this other one. And it doesn't stink either...

Kiehl’s seems to be just another expensive mediocre product seller. I feel bad because my niece spent her money to give me a Xmas present....
If you want a cream that doesn't lather BUT works well: Trader Joe's Mangoe shaving cream....amazingly good; and a fraction of this other one. And it doesn't stink either...
I used to use TJ's mango cream but it did clog up my razor a little too quickly. I used to use a cartridge with it and I would spend a lot of time trying to clear off the gunk. It was slick like Cremo through.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for your honest opinion on this cream. I had never heard of it until you posted about it. Lucky it is not found out here in Australia. At least in my part of Australia.

Top Bottom