What's new

Kent BK4S

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Anyone tried a Kent BK4S, the synthetic successor to the BK4? If so, any thoughts and reactions are solicited.

I’m interested in the BK8S to match my BK8. Very interested to hear if the knot is similar in density.

I don’t think they have made their way to North America yet, so I will wait likely.

Aaaand I bought the BK8S. Knocked me out of GRUME. Thanks! 😜

I have been waiting for these to be released since last November and haven’t seen them in Canada yet. I ordered mine directly from Kent,

If you don’t pull the trigger, I’ll let you know what the BK8S is like when it arrives in a week or two.

Aaaand I bought the BK8S. Knocked me out of GRUME. Thanks! 😜

I have been waiting for these to be released since last November and haven’t seen them in Canada yet. I ordered mine directly from Kent,

If you don’t pull the trigger, I’ll let you know what the BK8S is like when it arrives in a week or two.

Review awaited

The 5G synthetic brushes are coming from Germany and I'm very much interested in hearing about how well it can perform.

Given that I'm using probably 2nd generation bristles with RazoRock Plissoft knot, I've a lot of catching up.

Did I mention I already have a Kent synthetic? Its one of their new range with the angled handle. Lathers up just like one of the old V series boar brushes. But as an avid collector of kent brushes (currently around 15) am still curious as to how the new synth line shapes up.

My BK8S arrived from Kent in England yesterday and here are a few quick thoughts from my first use of it today….

I really like this brush. The BK8S does remind me of the BK8 Silvertip badger from a knot “feel” perspective. The synthetic bristles seem to be of very high quality (again, one shave in) and the knot behaves in a similar way to my badger BK8. The handles are identical. Cost was about $60US including shipping from Kent direct. Not cheap, but less than a Simpson Chubby 2 synth and about the same as a Duke 3 synth.

The BK8S splays very easily but has enough backbone to create a nice lather and not feel super floppy. It easily held enough lather for 3 passes and still could have likely gone a 4th.

I do like BK8S much more than the Infinity series. Note: both brushes have “SilverTex” bristles and they absolutely are not the same IMO. Reminds me of Simpson with their less expensive Sovereign fibre (Trafalgar) vs. the more expensive Platinum (Chubby, Duke 3, M7, etc.). The BK8 feels like a high end brush and the Infinity does not. The BK8 is 2-3x more expensive though.

In comparing the BK8S to Simpsons higher end Platinum knotted brushes, both fibres are seemingly high quality but the Kent and the Simpsons synths perform as differently as their badgers do.… I.e. a Kent BK8 Silvertip badger has nothing in common with a Chubby 2 Silvertip except the fact the hairs are both badger. Completely different density, different lofts, etc. Same with the synths. If you think a Kent BK8 badger is too floppy, there is a chance that you won’t like the synthetic version.

In any case, my initial impression of this brush is all positive. I will report back after a few more uses.

Here are a few pics that might be of interest….

0A4C7285-6C0C-4113-9412-FBE3E4A7684C.jpeg
C0BB5C57-F264-4B9D-9CCF-FEACBABBE4EF.jpeg
8D0261FA-9706-4C68-B6A1-008CE31F8BAA.jpeg
688F4379-4DC2-4E0A-8962-EB604833F5E1.jpeg

Last edited:
Great mini review. I for one as a major Kent fan will be looking at these BK series. My only problem I have with any of K3nts brushes is the price always seem a few quid too much.

Anyone tried a Kent BK4S, the synthetic successor to the BK4? If so, any thoughts and reactions are solicited.
I own one. Fibres are not densely packed (which I much prefer), and based on my personal experience, my BK4S performs very much like my Muhle Silvertip Fibre (31K257), but with a tad bit more silky soft face feel. BK4S is a great performer, but quite pricey though. To me, some of the much cheaper synthetics like Yaqi's and PAA's perform as well as, or even better than BK4S.

I got a BK12S for my birthday a year and a bit ago. My Better Half ordered it direct from Kent to Canada without any trouble and it arrived in a couple of weeks. It is a superb brush. I've used it most of the time for the last year and it still looks new. Lost one hair. Bit dense and a lot stiffer than my '80's super badger (which is a lovely soft floppy brush, but suitable mostly for Cella).

I'm a fan of the recent generation of synthetic brushes. A good boar is next followed by badger. First generation synthetics were pretty terrible (IMHO). Not a big fan of recent badgers. Price to quality doesn't seem to be there any more. To each their own.

My Kent makes great lather with everything from Cella to MWF. Even Williams makes a fair lather with it. I also like that it dries quickly.

Didn't ask what it cost, but don't think it was too outlandish - especially considering how long it will last. Better to save for the best than wish you had.

Top Bottom