What's new

Kanayama 10K - Thoughts?

Just wanted everyones thoughts on the quality of the Kanayama 10K, is this strop "Good Enough". All of the higher numbers have been well picked over and that is all I can find for decent money. I have read it is only the thickness of the leather that is the differentiator. But wanted some experienced feedback on if this strop is good enough of should I hold out for a higher level?

I have a 30k that I love! I only suggest getting canvas backing vs the suede option. I have heard some people that actually prefer the lower numbers (just different draw between the 2 they had). I have found the best prices on Aframes. I think just get the one that is good for your budget and you will not be disappointed!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have tried about half-a-dozen different strops of different leathers, all used clean. I have not noticed any difference in the shave quality between any of the strops. Their is a difference between leathers in the feel while stropping but not the resultant shave quality.

A s for leather thickness. I use to prefer thicker leathers. As my stropping technique developed, I found that I was prefering thinner leathers. I can't explain why. My most favoured strop now is less than 1mm thick.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I only have one Kanayama strop, not sure how many "k"s it is, but I really like it. SWOOOOOOOSH! What a magical feel it has! Like rubbing well buttered bread on silk. But I also have a thin compressed cowhide strop I made for myself several years ago, and it feels quite similar. And I have quite a few other strops including a vintage elk shell strop I haven't got around to using yet. When it comes to how the razor shaves, it really doesn't matter all that much, or maybe doesn't matter at all, what strop you used as long as you stropped well.

I'm a bit of a newbie so take my impressions with a grain of salt, but I think the 10k is plenty good enough. I love the slick feel of it (and personally prefer the suede, but I only use it for 5 laps after cleaning my blade in the morning).

I also have a 30k I bought as a splurge during some holiday sale and while it is more or less my daily driver, it feels very similar to the 10k, just a bit thicker, but with a very similar (and pleasing) draw.

I still use the 10k too, to keep it busy and loved; I also use it when honing and on any blades that feel awkward or potentially damaging, but only because if I'm going to ruin one, I'd rather it was the lesser expensive one. If I didn't have the 30k I would be perfectly content with my 10k.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Get the best one that you can find - I’ve been using an 80000 that I bought used 9 years ago, it’s going strong.

The difference in the model numbers is the thickness of leather and the secondaries that come with it. Usually a 10000 will be thinner than a 30000 which will be thinner than an 80000. But there is quite a bit of variation piece to piece, and it’s entirely possible that a specific 10000 could be thicker than a specific 30000 and so on.

Good hunting!

I actually have the 3000 and really like it. I wanted to try a thinner strop anyway as I have a really think buffalo one I love already. Plus well I really wanted to try a Kanayama. I can tell you in general the difference of a 3000 to a 10000 Kanyama is about .5mm in thickness. The 3000 is around 1.8mm thick the 10000 is around 2.3mm thick and the 80000 is around 3.1mm thick. These are actual #'s from the website where I bought mine. This is also what they have to say.
The numbers printed on the strops correspond to the thickness of the leather used, with higher numbers denoting thicker leather; the thicker parts of horse hide are much harder to come by and are more time consuming to tan and polish, which adds to the production price. The thicker strops (#70000-#90000) come with a horse butt suede strop in addition to the linen strop. You can think of the progression of these strops as being coarse (linen), medium (suede) and fine (polished leather).

I seem to find it easier to strop on the thicker Buffalo, but I have gotten accustom to both and don't notice much of difference in the final edge except sometimes on really heavy wedge blades and this could all be what I am used to though. I really do like the thinner lighter draw sometimes especially on the hollow ground blades.

Last edited:
Oh and this is what Aframes has to say so it may not all be about thickness.
The thickness of the Cordovan strop is one of quality indicator, and it is not only one determination of the quality. Mr. Naomi decides the quality of the strop in each model of the strops such as the thickness, the color, the softness, smoothness of the strop, the total quality of the strop, etc. I guess the strop quality is decided the total quality of the strop instead of just the thickness of the strop, therefore, the thickness of the Cordovan strop is just one of the factor to determine the number of the strops.######

Nothing wrong with the 10k. I have one of the #3's (which is supposed to be fairly close/the same leather-wise) and it's a great strop. That said, there's nothing like a Kanayama. But there's also nothing like three or four of my nicest vintages (which are each special in a different way), and nothing like my ambrose Spanish HH, and nothing like a piece of nice cordo you cut and hang yourself. They're great strops, but imho, not worth panicking over "I may never get it!"... If you want a higher model than a 10k, maybe post a WTB in BST, email some vendors asking them to notify you if they get more in stock, etc. Who knows, you may get invited on a business trip to Japan next year and get to buy one over there. Fear of missing out is overrated.

Steve56

Nothing wrong with the 10k. I have one of the #3's (which is supposed to be fairly close/the same leather-wise) and it's a great strop. That said, there's nothing like a Kanayama. But there's also nothing like three or four of my nicest vintages (which are each special in a different way), and nothing like my ambrose Spanish HH, and nothing like a piece of nice cordo you cut and hang yourself. They're great strops, but imho, not worth panicking over "I may never get it!"... If you want a higher model than a 10k, maybe post a WTB in BST, email some vendors asking them to notify you if they get more in stock, etc. Who knows, you may get invited on a business trip to Japan next year and get to buy one over there. Fear of missing out is overrated.

That’s just crazy talk! /H

22920DBE-5BDE-4CBB-9983-06826B9B3A05.jpeg

I don't regret my Kanayama Llama 30k, but my 3" Tony Miller smooth and rough horsehide strops get a lot more use in my den. I just revived a thick vintage Russian shell strop by Wester Bros. and it too is preferred to the Llama.

In further heresy, I added a d-ring handle to my Llama. I believe in taut, and the Llama was a bit thin for a good grip. The 4.5mm thick Wester vintage shell is easily held taut with no handle.

I do like the draw and the length of the Kanayama. Still, I am becoming fonder and fonder of my TM roughout horse. It is perhaps the antithesis of shell, and nonetheless nearing the status of top strop in my den.

Steve56

I have a #3, I'm happy with it.

The strop on the right in my image is a #3, my second Kanoyama after the 80000 that I bought used here on B&B about 8-9 years ago. The leather in the #3 is excellent. I haven’t seen it offered in a long time, it was Takeshi’s ‘house’ strop for a while.

Top Bottom