What's new

Kai vs Feather blades. What is better?

I find Kai razor blades to be superior to Feather blades.
The first shave with a Feather is always mediocre. The 2-4 shaves are always sweet. Then it would go mediocre and then provide good shaves the next 6 shaves, before having to be tossed after 10-12 shaves. The last one that I used was great on shave #9 and horrible on #10.
The first shave with a Kai is sweet right off the bat, and provide 10-15 great shaves. Best of all, no wax spots!
I believe for the price of Feathers, they should be more consistent and provide at least 10 great shaves.

Many find that blades are the most "YMMV" aspect of wet shaving. This makes it impossible to give a meaningful answer to the OP's question for him. Some of us find Feather and Kai both uncomfortable , some find one works better and some find it depends on the razor. I happen to prefer sharp blades and Feather is my favorite, but that is just me.I believe the best advice is to simply experiment with samples of various blades, and many excellent ones have been mentioned in this thread. Enjoy the journey and wait for the "aha" moment.

I have the S2 - great combo!
Yes, i find Kai nicer than Feather... smoother, longer lasting and just as sharp.
The Men`s Room Barbershop has the best price for Kai - since they're a BB vendor there is coupon (you have to find it) but even w/o they have the best deal.
Nice source!

Yes, they are indeedsvery competitively priced, along with $3.95 economy shipping on 100 lots; and they do 5/10/50/100 quantities, all at what seem to be best available pricing.

Thanks for this!

I have used both extensively and strongly prefer the Kai. They are not as sharp as the Feathers, but they're close. They are a bit smoother and they don't have any wax spots. And the wax spots on the Feathers are stickiest of any brand of blade I have used.

I typically use a blade for only a single 2- or 3-pass shave.

Whoa, I didn't know they had KAIs that low. They're $48 a 100 ($24/50) on Amazon with Prime. They were also $2.95 for a 5 pack that I just got from Merz' in-store recently, which also struck me as a pretty decent price.

I'm looking for something a little more aggressive in my DE89 than my current Astra SPs, so I can't wait to try them!

If you ever find yourself in Chicago, try to stop by the store. Every soap & cream there has a tester, so you can check-out how you like the scent and texture before buying, and they've got a public demo sink by the soap section so you can see how they lather-up too. They'll let you linger for hours, because the guys on the Q Bros side are hobbyists & DE wet-shavers themselves.

I ended up picking up 50 for $20 plus shipping. My face has been quite happy with me the past week. Think I may have found my blade and don't need to experiment anymore.

I ended up picking up 50 for $20 plus shipping. My face has been quite happy with me the past week. Think I may have found my blade and don't need to experiment anymore.

Of all the blades I have tried, I have only really like Kai and Bolzano. I don't like that the Bolzano has wax spots, but they are very slight compared to most other blades. The Kai's are my mainstay. I will use Bolzano just for variety.

Well, now you've got me enthused to try the 5 pack I've got from them. Tough decision between trying either the Kais or Personna blues next!

Old thread I bumped into.

Got some Kai's to sample. For me, an excellent shave. Almost as sharp as feather, but way smoother. And no weepers. Feathers don't like me. Just bought a hundred Kai's.

Does anyone else find yellow 7 o clocks and perma sharp to be as sharp as Feather?

My personal experience between the two netted me these results; the Kai was the best second shave but quickly diminished after that. The feather lasts me I would say four solid three pass shaves with clean ups. I liked the Kai but the smoothness that the feather provides is unparalleled for me.

Since this thread's now alive again, and I was a contributer back then, I'll report what I found:

I've since tried both Feather & KAI in my DE89, and found Feather to be the sharpest but it can be a bit rough.

KAI, on the other hand, is still pretty sharp even while less-so than the Feather, but I find it somewhat shockingly smooth. It also has a way of clearly making itself felt - you can feel the blade on your face - but again it still remains very smooth.

I'm so positively impressed with the KAI, that I'm considering ordering a 100 for everyday use. I'm also considering ordering a hundred Feathers too, since while I might not everyday it, I believe it has a place in my den.

Old thread I bumped into.

Got some Kai's to sample. For me, an excellent shave. Almost as sharp as feather, but way smoother. And no weepers. Feathers don't like me. Just bought a hundred Kai's.

Does anyone else find yellow 7 o clocks and perma sharp to be as sharp as Feather?
IMHO both the 7o'clock Yellows and
7o'clock Blacks are equal to Feathers in
Sharpness with Perma Sharps being
Several levels below , which still puts it in
The group of extremely Sharp blades..

It depends what your definition of, "better" is. Feathers are sharper but Kais are almost as sharp and a bit smoother. In terms of sharpness, theres nothing like a Feather but absolute sharpness isnt always everything.

Well, I haven't tried either yet (tho' I've used KAI & Feather Artists' Club blades and for me the KAIs are smoother and longer lasting). But I'm going to sample about 20 brands before I order 100 of anything (Gillette Rubie & Polsilver SI are top of my list right now). Or I may say to heck with it and just go back to SE only . . .

Good luck!

Well, I haven't tried either yet (tho' I've used KAI & Feather Artists' Club blades and for me the KAIs are smoother and longer lasting). But I'm going to sample about 20 brands before I order 100 of anything (Gillette Rubie & Polsilver SI are top of my list right now). Or I may say to heck with it and just go back to SE only . . .

Good luck!
If you're a DE hobbyist, sooner or later you've got to broach the 800lb gorilla in the room, so you may as well just do it and get it over with! You've got SE experience, so you'll be in a good position to evaluate Feather.

I highly recommend you try the KAI, too. They are slightly wider than most blades, so they have a different face feel - you can feel the blade more. Again as a SE shaver, you may appreciate that.

Good luck!

(BTW, I enjoyed your "SE to DE" thread)

I have not tried the Kai blades.
Between Astra SP, Gillette SB, 7 O'clock Yellows, Treet, Dorco and Feather blades...

Feather wins over all of them (for me in my Rockwell)
Astra + Gillette SB are tied for 2nd

Top Bottom