What's new

Just purchased a Gillette Tech with triangle slots

Well I made my final addition to my collection. I waivered a lot between a NEW Goodwill and a Tech. Yes I know they are 2 different shaves in terms of aggressiveness but the NEW I was looking at was just too tarnished for my liking. Plus I have a very mild growth and don't really need an aggressive razor.

Anyway, thanks to the reading I conducted here at B&B, I was determined to get a triangle slotted fat handle Tech. I read that the triangle slotted ones are a little more aggressive. Well I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111477163639?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

That's right, she's mine. I really don't mind the brassing at all on the lower plate. I am pretty excited about this one because it is my first all brass 3 piece. I have a Slim, NDC 40s, and my birth year Super Speed. Unfortunately, the birth year SS is going to be sold to a coworker. I really do not have any special affection for it just because it is my birth year.

I hope I did good, well at least not bad.

I bought a triangle slot (pre-war 1938-1941) Tech for my Dad as 2014 Christmas gift. It's as close to a birth year razor as I think I'll be able to get him since date codes weren't yet being used.
$uploadfromtaptalk1412477154690.jpg
I couldn't resist, so I gave it a go myself just to see what it was like. What a great shave! You'll love yours I'm sure. I liked it so much that I bought another for myself to use plus I've got a second in the mail. I've got two boys, and I want to leave one to each of them just to keep it even you know!

An excellent choice! I prefer mine to my News (ducks).

Chris at razorplate.com does replating (and is someone I can recommend), FYI, so I wouldn't let a razor with stripped plating deter you. You do have to factor in the cost of replating, however.

Thanks. I will try shaving with it using my Astras then maybe shim it if not aggressive enough. Shimming works beautifully with my Merkur 180. I would like to get a pack of feathers just for the Tech because I have read on many forums that is the best of both worlds.

Nice pick up. To me its a mild razor, place a Feather blade in it and it will serve you very well.

I like Feathers in about everything. As long as your technique is good, you shouldn't need stitches. Seriously though, they will let you know when you aren't doing things right.

Is replating really necessary for just the bottom plate? Yeah of course a beautifully replated Tech is much nicer but is there any harm with the brass being exposed?

Nice score and congrats. As others have noted, there is no such thing as "the final addition to my collection."

Is replating really necessary for just the bottom plate? Yeah of course a beautifully replated Tech is much nicer but is there any harm with the brass being exposed?
nope. there are alot of people shaving with razors with no plating on them at all. i see alot of NEWs that are all polished up, and there are quite a few techs also that are just polished. there would be more up keep to a polished razor, as it will lose its shine pretty much over night.

Top Bottom