What's new

Just had a shave tonight.

So, as the title says, I had a shave tonight. But not just any shave - it was a proper one.

Well, at least more proper than I'm used to.

That's right ladies and gents, I whipped out the ol' badger brush and Col. Conk Shaving soap, lime flavor.

I think the picture should post...anyways. Thoughts on the lather? That's pretty much the kind I used. May have been a little too runny though, I had a few nicks tonight. Also, my face wasn't too warm/hydrated before I shaved. Had to use a styptic pen...

Attachments

• 46961247_367814147303956_4663704089631129600_n.jpg
    46961247_367814147303956_4663704089631129600_n.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 63

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Congratulations! Looks like the lather was just getting started ... probably needed to work it some more, or add more product. Proper preparation is very important. Nicks are usually caused by improper technique. Keep at it!

I usually just leave the puck in the bowl. Should I not do this?
You can leave it in shave bowl or mug. That's what they are for!
However you need more product since your lather look runny and bubbly. Load some more soap and work on lather a bit more but don't over work it and create a lather that resemble a Styrofoam block. Lot of air in lather isn't good.

You can leave it in shave bowl or mug. That's what they are for!
However you need more product since your lather look runny and bubbly. Load some more soap and work on lather a bit more but don't over work it and create a lather that resemble a Styrofoam block. Lot of air in lather isn't good.
Awesome advice. I think that my problem is that it isn't reaching the right consistency.

I've never used Col. Conk, so I don't know how it behaves, but your lather in the pic does look like it needs a little more work. For soft soaps, I generally load the brush for 30 seconds, and for hard soaps, I generally load for a minute. I spend some time building the lather until it looks and feels ready. How long this takes depends on the particular soap. I would keep working it until those little bubbles in the pic are all gone. Keep at it and you will find your sweet spot. Thanks for sharing!

I would keep working it until those little bubbles in the pic are all gone. Keep at it and you will find your sweet spot. Thanks for sharing!

This is the best advice you can get. Keep doing this until you find the sweet spot for you and your brush. And you don't have to swirl on the soap until the bubbles disappear. You can load for 30 second or so and then swirl on your face until the bubbles disappear.

I find a small amount of rest can be beneficial. Whip it up, then pause to apply the Rogaine to the bald spot and then get back to it. If it can't get it to work up, I hit the Williams puck for a few strokes or add a little cream. That makes the dynamite go boom.

Top Bottom