What's new

Just completed first DE shave - woke up with with whiteheads?

Hi everyone,

I just completed my first DE wet shave last night, I had quite a lot of growth (7+ days) and my tools were:

1. Merkur 23c with merkur blade
2. Body shop maca root shave cream
3. Osma alum bloc
4. Maca root razor relief
5. Man cave face wash
5. Omega synthetic brush

my routine went like this.

1. Wet face with hot water
2. Man cave face wash and rinse
3. Pat face down
4. Lather up shave cream. Don't think I did this right first off!
5. First pass WTG, short passes due to the amount of hair there was.
6. Wash face with warm water after first run, re-lather.
7. Another pass WTG, this felt much smoother and I think I got a better lather this time.
8. After covering all of my face, and with no cuts I washed with cold water then hit with alum bloc - this really stung!
9. Left the alum on for about 1 minute while tidying up. Then washed it off.
10. Applied maca root razor relief. This felt some what smoothing but also a bit tingly.

Now, the the reason for starting this thread is that when I woke up this morning I saw about 4-5 small whiteheads scattered around my face :(

This is where I should add that I have not shaved for about 3 years, and have just been using a babyliss stubble trimmer all this time.

Could these whiteheads just be a result of not having stuck a razor to my face for so long?

Thanks.

I'm not a dermatologist, but I think shaving itself exfoliates the skin and therefore would be helpful to prevent blemishes. I'm wondering if any of the stuff you put on your face clogged your pores resulting in an increase in bacteria (which causes whiteheads)?! How old are you? I had some whiteheads in my twenties and thirties, but in the past twenty five years or so I doubt I have had more than two. Finally its possible that your shaving had nothing to do with the whiteheads. Chronology does not necessarily prove causality.

I'm wondering if any of the stuff you put on your face clogged your pores resulting in an increase in bacteria (which causes whiteheads)?!

This. I'm not a dermatologist either, but I would think that the balm may have clogged-up your pores. Next time, try using more splash to tone the skin and less balm (Or no balm at all). I haven't used Maca Root ASB, but if its a heavier balm and you have combination or oily-skin, then its likely that it clogged your pores and as a result, you had break-outs.

Echoing the above, Step 10 may have been the culprit. Nothing involved with the process of shaving itself will clog pores, but what you do afterward could certainly contribute to it.

Most likely just a few spots that got shaved real close ,too much pressure, and the skin is healing. I get them once in a while after a harsh shave.

1. Merkur 23c with merkur blade

There are many shavers who would look right at that.

Good points all around, but Merkur blades are the last I would use for my 1000th DE shave ..... let alone my first. I know there are people that get along with them ......... Or so the rumours go :001_rolle ........ But I'd rather take a painters knife, sharpened on a concrete step, to my face than use a Merkur blade......

When I do a 3 pass shave with a final atg pass, I end-up with a few white-heads under a specific area umder my chin. Thing is, the hairs in that zone grow a bit more parallell to the skin and, when cut too short, grow back forming these white-heads. Once everything else suggested is ruled out, I suggest watching your technique in these areas (where your w-e are) and make sure you don't apply too much pressure or stretch uour skin too much, see if it helps.

You might also want to try a different shaving cream...the Body Shop Maca shaving cream, although nice stuff, doesn't agree with my skin and will do the same thing to my face if I use it. Personally I had to try a few different products till I found something that my skin type likes then make sure my technique is good because shaving multiple passes is also not good for me.

First, welcome to B&B !

I second the less pressure recommendation. It took me a few months to fully understand that, even tough I've read it countless times before...

Take your time, try to shave the whiskers, not your skin. Use minimal pressure and give your skin some time to recover. Also, watch your blade angle. Oh and map your beard growth !

You'll get better at it real quick.

:thumbup1:

Ok guys I'm gonna try this again tonight.

Will use one of the other blades I got in my sample pack.

It's been quite a painful weekend since shaving and I think I've just spotted a bald spot on my chin :(

I'm not a dermatologist, but I think shaving itself exfoliates the skin and therefore would be helpful to prevent blemishes. I'm wondering if any of the stuff you put on your face clogged your pores resulting in an increase in bacteria (which causes whiteheads)?! How old are you? I had some whiteheads in my twenties and thirties, but in the past twenty five years or so I doubt I have had more than two. Finally its possible that your shaving had nothing to do with the whiteheads. Chronology does not necessarily prove causality.

I'm 27 mate. Shaved for years using a quattro but gave up and switched to a trimmer to save time. Since switching to a trimmer I got so many spots from where I think the trimming ATG and close to the skin has caused irritation so I thought I'd switch back to shaving but the proper way :)

Echoing the above, Step 10 may have been the culprit. Nothing involved with the process of shaving itself will clog pores, but what you do afterward could certainly contribute to it.

Can you suggest what I my post-shave routine should look more like?

PS. I just received some Thayers witch hazel with aloe.

After your final cold water rinse dry your face off and then splash on the Thayers. Skip the balm and see if that helps. Depending on which Thayers you have some have alcohol and others are toners. Both are great products and I think will take care of your problem.

It's very possible the whiteheads are ingrown hairs. The Merkur blade is universally scorned, what others do you have? You're new, so you need experience to master the de razor. Some lousy shaves early on are pretty normal. Try shaving right after a shower, or using some Noxema and water to soften your whiskers for a good 10 min before shaving. This will make your beard cut easier, giving a more comfortable shave with less irritation. Good luck and enjoy the journey finding what works for you!

I would try astringent type post shave products such as the Thayers witch hazel and see if that makes the difference. I also recently got some Thayers rose petal with aloe and really like it. Products such as that are more likely to kill the bacteria on your skin that contributes to blocking pores.

There are many shavers who would look right at that.

Good points all around, but Merkur blades are the last I would use for my 1000th DE shave ..... let alone my first. I know there are people that get along with them ......... Or so the rumours go :001_rolle ........ But I'd rather take a painters knife, sharpened on a concrete step, to my face than use a Merkur blade......

for my first shave with a DE I used the Merkur blade that came with the 34C, it was ok but I can tell it wasn't a great performer. I tried to shave with the same blade a second time and I could barely get it to shave with out applying any pressure it just kept bouncing on my face.

Top Bottom