What's new

John Wooden passes away at 99

I am not usually one for hyperbole or claims that are hard to substantiate because they're generally opinion-based, but John Wooden was the greatest basketball coach that ever lived. And now, he is gone from us.

He led a very long, fulfilling life. May he rest in peace.

Greatest coach ever. RIP.

I think he was beyond a coach and expected more of his players off the court than on. I love his book by the way and a must for everyone in a leadership position.
My wife even cried. He was a great man

I cried too:blush:

It is a sad day for those of us that are UCLA alums.

In memory of JW...Go Bruins

View attachment 106956

My brother is really hurting on this. It would be like losing Lou Holtz if you went to ND.

I was never one of those bruins that hated the Trojans :tongue1:...In fact, I've got a lot of friends from 'SC and in fact, I am looking at a career option there.

Good school, good band (what did you play there?)...but, when it comes to the games, I will always be a blue & gold fan (although it seems like we suck at most, these days :blushing:)

Robert

USC class of '93. Spent four years in the marching band I'm sure you hate. I bleed cardinal and gold.

But even this got to me. I loved Wooden, too.

Even for a die hard Kentucky fan, the world has lost a unique soul. Dedicated to his wife like no one I know. Best coach ever. A sad day.

As a young Texan, following our beloved state teams (A&M in my case), Coach Wooden still inspired me from afar. I was impressed with his teams, more impressed with the man. Mark's right, his book is standard issue material for leaders and we can all learn by his example. I'll miss him.

“John Wooden, basketball, Indiana. One doesn’t go without the others. His contributions to the game, both for the State of Indiana and on a national level, are unmatched." - Larry Bird

Top Bottom