What's new

Jig tying?

Anyone here tying their own jigs? I'm going to tie some of my own bucktail jigs, and I'm wondering what to use for glue.

I tied Pompano jigs when I lived in FL and used Superglue. After it dried I applied clear nail polish to seal it. If you want to go "high tech," you can look at the fly tying head cement. I tried that the first time I tied jigs but found that Superglue did as good a job and was far cheaper.

Clear fingernail polish is fly tying cement and vice versa. They are both just clear lacquer though they may have differing viscosities. Some flies, primarily salt water, are 'finished' with clear epoxies. Superglue is an excellent choice for durability. However it does pose more of a clean-up challenge should you get it somewhere it doesn't belong. A jig permanently attached to the tying vise is somewhat awkward to cast.

Clear fingernail polish is fly tying cement and vice versa. They are both just clear lacquer though they may have differing viscosities. Some flies, primarily salt water, are 'finished' with clear epoxies. Superglue is an excellent choice for durability. However it does pose more of a clean-up challenge should you get it somewhere it doesn't belong. A jig permanently attached to the tying vise is somewhat awkward to cast.

But it makes a great weight when fishing for sharks! :laugh:

I picked up a bottle of head cement. On sale for 2.99. I'll keep in mind the nail polish for when the cement is not on sale. After tying 3 last night, each of which turned out well, I see the necessity of owning both a bobbin and a vice. I shall acquire these tools in the near future.

I picked up a bottle of head cement. On sale for 2.99. I'll keep in mind the nail polish for when the cement is not on sale. After tying 3 last night, each of which turned out well, I see the necessity of owning both a bobbin and a vice. I shall acquire these tools in the near future.

The bobbin and vise are very useful tools. Both of them however are relatively new. Long before either was invented flies were tied 'in hand'. The hook was held by the bend between the thumb and forefinger and the thread, in a short length and waxed with a sticky substance, was manipulated without a bobbin. A few folks still tie that way today. You might also look into getting a whip finish tool. It helps you quickly create a very secure knot to tie off with. There's nothing more 'heart-rending' than having a fly or jig that's catching fish start to come apart just as the fishing gets good.

They make tying a lot easier.

Top Bottom