What's new

Jay21's Journey Journal

Did you use to make shave soap as well?

No, I was experiencing eczema outbreaks at the time and wanted an unscented, non-drying soap not made from coconut nor palm oils which I was told is drying. I took that on faith even though the little chemistry I understood wondered what the problem was exactly with those oils if it was fully saponified. I ended up making soap from a blend of lard and soybean oils and I used that successfully until my skin issues quelled down.

I must not have gotten the proportions exactly right because my batches eventually developed those orange spots which indicate spoiling. It was still usable, but the smell wasn't the best, so I just used the remnants to wash blood and other stains off my training gear.

But that short little experiment taught me that home-made soaps can be vastly superior to the detergent bars we buy at the grocery store.

No, I was experiencing eczema outbreaks at the time and wanted an unscented, non-drying soap not made from coconut nor palm oils which I was told is drying. I took that on faith even though the little chemistry I understood wondered what the problem was exactly with those oils if it was fully saponified. I ended up making soap from a blend of lard and soybean oils and I used that successfully until my skin issues quelled down.

I must not have gotten the proportions exactly right because my batches eventually developed those orange spots which indicate spoiling. It was still usable, but the smell wasn't the best, so I just used the remnants to wash blood and other stains off my training gear.

But that short little experiment taught me that home-made soaps can be vastly superior to the detergent bars we buy at the grocery store.
Indeed they are superior and it is not hard to make really. I much prefer homemade soaps myself and all my friends that I have given soap to do as well. Of course when I started DE shaving I had to make shave soap and while it is a different beast it is not hard either. Just need to highlight different characteristics compared with bath soap. What I have found though is that you almost have to do a dual lye soap for shaving though. The soap get really really hard if you just make it with NaOH and difficult to lather. I do have a shave soap I made that is single lye and I actually used it last night, but it works best for face lathering when I rub the bar on the face. Loading the brush from it sufficiently is a bit of a challenge. Since you are using both NaOH and KOH you are kind of forced into hot process and cook the soap. The benefit of that is that you can use it right away.

Dreaded Orange Spots(DOS) oh yes I know very well what that is. Most likely it was the un-saponified oils that oxidized (gone rancid). Maybe a bit too high of a superfat level, but also some oils are more prone to it. Also if you use other non-oil ingredients in the soap they can cause it as well.

Dreaded Orange Spots(DOS) oh yes I know very well what that is. Most likely it was the un-saponified oils that oxidized (gone rancid). Maybe a bit too high of a superfat level, but also some oils are more prone to it. Also if you use other non-oil ingredients in the soap they can cause it as well.

That was almost certainly it then, because I recall calculating the ratios three times to make sure they were exact along with weighing the ingredients correctly. I was adding cornmeal and fine oatmeal to the batches as a mild scrubbing ingredient. I didn't do anything extra to sterilize the grain.

That was almost certainly it then, because I recall calculating the ratios three times to make sure they were exact along with weighing the ingredients correctly. I was adding cornmeal and fine oatmeal to the batches as a mild scrubbing ingredient. I didn't do anything extra to sterilize the grain.
Could have been. I have only had it happen one time for me. Long time ago. Not since though *knock on wood*. You will have to join us over at SMAUG. It has been quiet over there. I need to make some more soap soon.

I have 4 unopened tubs of Canada Shaving Soap.... It's a bit easier than making my own soap. I doubt I'd get it right on the first trial.... I have enough to do without that. <eg>
I bought 4 tubs of croaps from Italian Barber during their recent sale, and I have 3 new tubes of Proraso Green Creme from Amazon. I think I am set for at least a couple of years between that, my last Arko purchase, my canned foam, and my penchant to use Ivory bath soap to shave with.

Oh yeah, I got a kilo of Vitos too.

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
My skin irritation may end up being a blessing in disguise. Today, I was playing around with various soaps in my mugs while I was trying to speed up the breaking in of a new brush to remove that variable from the equation. I had been adding water on top of the puck and whipping up lather that way. It was quick and easy. However, not only is it more inefficient than other methods, the water was doing no favors. My puck of Arko was just about spent and looked like a thin donut. I decided to take it out to load a new Arko puck. I was shocked to see some mildew on the bottom of the puck!

I won’t be adding water to the mugs anymore! I’ll brush load from the mug in the puck and add water to a lathering bowl from now on.

Whew.

My skin irritation may end up being a blessing in disguise. Today, I was playing around with various soaps in my mugs while I was trying to speed up the breaking in of a new brush to remove that variable from the equation. I had been adding water on top of the puck and whipping up lather that way. It was quick and easy. However, not only is it more inefficient than other methods, the water was doing no favors. My puck of Arko was just about spent and looked like a thin donut. I decided to take it out to load a new Arko puck. I was shocked to see some mildew on the bottom of the puck!

I won’t be adding water to the mugs anymore! I’ll brush load from the mug in the puck and add water to a lathering bowl from now on.

Whew.
Hmm.. I soak the brush for a bit, doesn't matter what the brush is made from, shake excess water off and start lathering in the mug. If I have to, I add a bit of water at times but that's it. No problems, mildew, mold, aliens or anything else...for years.

Jay21

Hmm.. I soak the brush for a bit, doesn't matter what the brush is made from, shake excess water off and start lathering in the mug. If I have to, I add a bit of water at times but that's it. No problems, mildew, mold, aliens or anything else...for years.
Hey, what do you know. I went digging in the trash to find the remnants of the old puck. After it dried a bit, I could tell it wasn’t mildew. It was lint from the shaving brush!

I’m still going to try bowl lathering for a bit, though. It’s a good skill to have.

It seems so, Thom. Brothers from other mothers.
1000005777.gif

Jay21

Pre-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost
Brush: RR 400 matte Plissoft
Soap: Arko, mug loaded and bowl lathered
Razor: Baili TTO
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Number of passes: 2, XTG
Touchups or buffs: No
Aftershave: Old Spice and Nivea Sensitive balm
Sting: None
Result: CCS (stubble ATG on neck)

My skin seems to have recovered from the great scented soap disaster of 2024. It took an application of hydrocortisone cream yesterday to get things back in order. Ironically, Arko, which has the loudest scent profile of any shaving soap, works just fine with my skin. I ordered some unscented Fendrihan soap last night and some Stirling unscented beeswax the other day. I should have them all hopefully by early next week. It looks like the Mrs. is getting my lavender shaving soap as a bath soap. I will have to figure out what to do with the rest of my What the Pucks because I don't want to try them due to the lingering psychological trauma of them. I'm not sure if it's the lanolin or the scents and, honestly, I don't really care to find out, either.

I tried bowl lathering this morning. It worked, but it took extra time and the lather wasn't any better, so I'll go back to lathering in the mug since that is quicker and works just fine for me.

Hey, what do you know. I went digging in the trash to find the remnants of the old puck. After it dried a bit, I could tell it wasn’t mildew. It was lint from the shaving brush!

I’m still going to try bowl lathering for a bit, though. It’s a good skill to have.
Hahaha...lint. That's funny. I like bowl lathering. For me it's a nice minute or two building lather. I tend to use synths for that and "scrape soap" into the bowl.

I only use synthetics. I have some cheap boars that I acquired over the years, but I don't care for them.
I haven't caught onto the brush nuances yet. I only own 4 and the most expensive one is a Semogue boar brush that cost $25. Honestly I usually just grab the $3 synthetic that is always sitting in my shave mug filled with an Arko frankensoap and load it with whatever I want to use that day.

What am I missing? It is true some of the photos members pose here have beautiful looking brushes.

Top Bottom