What's new

Jay21's Journey Journal

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
I don’t think I have a skin allergy to the soap after all. I wiped some lather on the soft skin on the back of my hand and let it air dry. No reaction. Maybe my face simply needed to settle down from an aggressive shave the other day.

@blethenstrom what about this? Is this a common ingredient in soaps?

Benyzl Salicylate
Likely a fragrance in the soap and may be in a lower concentration. Salicylates are keratolytic, a fancy word for eating the top layer of skin off. Not knowing the concentration it is hard to tell if it would matter. Likely not or they would have more complaints. But @Jay21 has a sensitive jaw from the dental work of years past.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
They got to know me very well at the local UPS store in St. Clair Shores, MI. That's where I would go to send my blade PIFs. I would walk in and they would say "You're mailing shave gear again, right?" 😆

I'm glad there's a UPS store minutes from my new place. They haven't seen me in a year, but they will soon. :ihih:

Jay21

Pre-shave: Neutrogena Hydro Boost
Brush: RR 400 Plissoft, matte handle
Soap: RR What the Puck Blue Label, mug loaded and lathered
Razor: Baili TTO
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Number of passes: 2, XTG
Touchups or buffs: No
Aftershave: Old Spice and Nivea Sensitive balm
Sting: none
Result: CCS (stubble ATG on neck)

I repeated the same shave as yesterday and I'm pleased to report it was 100% drama free. It wasn't the closest shave I've ever had, but it was nice and satisfying. It seems like I do not have an allergy or the sort to the What the Puck soap, which is great because I absolutely love it. It makes lather bombs that have slickness for days. There is some ingredient in it that has a slight cooling effect, but I can't figure out which one. I'm not the biggest fan of the cooling effect during the shave, but I'll learn to live with it, or maybe I'll adjust to it and no longer sense it in time, because the soap is really that fantastic.

At least I don't scare the mailman half to death when he thinks he is being attacked by a crazy man.
joker-fair-enough.gif

Jay21

Brush: RR 400 butterscotch noir
Soap: RR What the Puck Blue Label, mug loaded and lathered
Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)
Sting: maybe some tingles

I'm not exactly sure what's going on with the What the Puck soap. I wouldn't describe is as sting or irritation, but there is definitely a different post-shave skin feel to it. There is a tingle and slight edge to it, for lack of better words. I'm not sure if I like it and I have to decide if I'll keep using the soap. I really hope I can end up using it because it is superb. Today I whipped up some wonderfully thick lather. I'll try a different soap tomorrow and compare how they feel. I hope it's not an issue with Nacets, because I now have over 400. I never had a problem with them before.

Jay21

It seems that two ingredients found in What the Puck Blue Label (Alpha Isomethyl Ionone and Benzyl Salicylate) are known skin irritants. These aren't in the other soaps I've used, and they aren't in the What the Puck Black Label and Green Label. I'll try Arko again tomorrow to establish a baseline and then try the other What the Pucks later. But I have a feeling that I can't use the Blue Label anymore.

Jay21

It seems that two ingredients found in What the Puck Blue Label (Alpha Isomethyl Ionone and Benzyl Salicylate) are known skin irritants. These aren't in the other soaps I've used, and they aren't in the What the Puck Black Label and Green Label. I'll try Arko again tomorrow to establish a baseline and then try the other What the Pucks later. But I have a feeling that I can't use the Blue Label anymore.
If it’s not those ingredients, then it’s probably the lanolin. Wool has aways made me a bit itchy.

Jay21

Soap: Arko, mug loaded and lathered
Sting: maybe some tingles (not from this shave)

I woke up with some bumps and patches of irritation on my face from where I previously used What the Puck. I think the mystery is over. I cannot use this soap. I shaved with Arko this morning and it was a very different experience despite still having some lingering issues from What the Puck. It will probably take another day or two for my face to fully settle down, but I'm on the right track.

What the Puck indeed.

Soap: Arko, mug loaded and lathered
Sting: maybe some tingles (not from this shave)

I woke up with some bumps and patches of irritation on my face from where I previously used What the Puck. I think the mystery is over. I cannot use this soap. I shaved with Arko this morning and it was a very different experience despite still having some lingering issues from What the Puck. It will probably take another day or two for my face to fully settle down, but I'm on the right track.

What the Puck indeed.
Damn new soaps! We are facing the same thing at the same time. I have that issue with my Crann Bethadh. I really wanted to like the soap. I tried a different soap from the same manufacturer and was fine, so I am thinking its a fragrance thing. Hopefully the other two RR pucks work for you!

Top Bottom