What's new

Jawline

I have so much trouble getting my jawline clean without butchering my face. I have about 30-40 shaves under a straight razor. Any advice ?

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I‘m certain there is no pleasure in SR shaving if you are butchering your face trying to have a clean jawline. What do you think might be going wrong there? What is your approach?

Ive seen some day that you need to pull the skin above your jawline so that you can shave it as a flat surface. Beyond that, keep practicing. They say that it takes 100 shaves to master straight razor shaving.

I am having trouble with my jawline also - but then it's tricky with a DE also and I hardly ever get it BBS. I just try different angles and hope I get better with practice.

cheers
Andrew

As stated, stretching the skin so it's no longer "on" the jawline is very effective.

The other thing is getting "good" at following the curves WTG and ATG. Maintaining a good cutting angle as the razor traverses the small radius of those curves takes a fair bit of practice. Once you "get it" it's easy (and it looks so easy in everyone's videos), but it takes a bit to get there.

Keep practicing. You'll get there.

With a DE I shave straight down over the jawline with no problem. Because the edge of a straight is normally longer, I sometimes shave over the jawline moving down and away from my face.

The jawline definitely takes practice. You will get better through practice.

Skin stretching is important for this. Are you stretching your skin upward while shaving above the jawline?
Somewhat yes. Maybe a better job stretching would work better. Stretching is certainly my weakness. I tend to get lazy with it.

The most useful advice (which I received here) was to shave horizontally, e.g. west-to-east or vice-versa. On my chin that provides a larger contact patch where the radius is not constantly changing so that I can focus of getting closer without irritation. That and some stretching so that the bit of skin just below the jawline can be shaved up top can also help.

Basically any small area around your jawline that you can find a flatspot or at least an inch or so where the radius is not rapidly changing good place to shave while stretching your skin as best you can into these areas.

Top Bottom