What's new

Japanese straight razor tips please

Looking to purchase vintage Japanese straight razor. I'm thinking eBay to purchase one shave ready. NOS. I'm new to this so what should I look for? There is lots of choices. Looking to spend $400 range. A lot of them look good, although do not know what to choose. As well as should I be making purchase elsewhere? I am leaning more towards vintage though. I still need to learn how to do honing and stropping still. Still need to get those two tools for shaving!

For 400$ you can get a really nice Japanese razor. Prices vary. You pay for the name, size etc. Iwasaki will run you high. Tanifuji is an excellent choice for a better price. A lot of other names and overall, in my opinion, Japanese razors are the best :)
Shave armory sells nice razors and he hones. His prices are rather steep on some items but hey it's a free market.
Purchase wise you can always check the BST, I picked 2 NOS ones shipped from Japan last week.

Anything from shave armory will be amazing. He puts the best edge I have used on his blades. And when he says shave ready it is shave ready. You will love any of his blades.
That's good to here. He seems to have a few I'm looking at to keep in mind, ranging from $190 to $300. Good selection. I will probably deal with him when I make my purchase. He uses Japanese tools honing and strop etc on his Japanese straights. I researched on the price of these Japanese tools, and wow I can't afford that, the Japanese hone and strop. I may have to sharpen with cheaper sharpening tools within my budget though. Maybe that's why he does a great job, not to mention obviously his tecnique. Thanks for letting me know!

That's good to here. He seems to have a few I'm looking at to keep in mind, ranging from $190 to $300. Good selection. I will probably deal with him when I make my purchase. He uses Japanese tools honing and strop etc on his Japanese straights. I researched on the price of these Japanese tools, and wow I can't afford that, the Japanese hone and strop. I may have to sharpen with cheaper sharpening tools within my budget though. Maybe that's why he does a great job, not to mention obviously his tecnique. Thanks for letting me know!

I did a post about my white whale. It was a Japanese razor I bought from him. The quality of his razors are amazing. His prices are high but you get excellent quality. He only deals with blades that are near flawless and like I mentioned his edge is par none. Also if you have any questions feel free to reach out to him. He is a great guy to work with as well.

I did a post about my white whale. It was a Japanese razor I bought from him. The quality of his razors are amazing. His prices are high but you get excellent quality. He only deals with blades that are near flawless and like I mentioned his edge is par none. Also if you have any questions feel free to reach out to him. He is a great guy to work with as well.
I think I will at some point soon.

For 400$ you can get a really nice Japanese razor. Prices vary. You pay for the name, size etc. Iwasaki will run you high. Tanifuji is an excellent choice for a better price. A lot of other names and overall, in my opinion, Japanese razors are the best :)
Shave armory sells nice razors and he hones. His prices are rather steep on some items but hey it's a free market.
Purchase wise you can always check the BST, I picked 2 NOS ones shipped from Japan last week.

What’s BST?
Thank you

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

Attachments

• 60165032_850559865304688_6896399094214819840_n.jpg
    60165032_850559865304688_6896399094214819840_n.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 17
Yeah those Hoshi are nice. It's a Hoshitombo 8000. Originals come with faux tortoise scales.
I have a used one, unfortunately it has seen better days. Somebody tried to regrind it and it's not exactly symmetrical. Bevel is ugly but it takes a good edge.
fullsizeoutput_19bc.jpeg
IMG_3068.JPG

Last edited:
He does have a non folding Hoshi 8000. Only problem with the kamisori style razor I have is that I am always worried I will damage the edge. Never know where to keep them, how to transport them etc.

Top Bottom