What's new

Iwasaki production/honing video

What is this material that he uses after the stone ? He puts some paste in it and refreshes the edge...Any idea?

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 2
I believe it's stretched out silk and diamond paste on the first video I saw but this one above is a little different.

The fabric for a pasted strop does not matter much, as long as it holds the paste or spray.

I have made hundreds of paste test strops from Pellon, an inexpensive fabric stiffener used in shirt collars and button plackets. It is not woven but made more like paper.

I have also made paddle strops from Silk ties on a leather backer glued to wood.

The problem with nano-grit strops is dust contamination, once contaminated, airborne dust is/can be much larger than nano grit. His solution to house the strop in a pencil tin is genius.

You do not need much paste, he applies a lot, or many laps on the diamond or CBN to finish. I prefer CBN to Diamonds, not as harsh with all the keenness.

You will know your strop is contaminated when you see, random deep stria on a polished bevel. That stria will end in a chip.

Top Bottom