What's new

I've got to get one of these

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'm not the biggest fan of the gaiwan, but no Menghai nut should be without one.
Where's the matching yixing?
proxy.php

Yeah, I am going to order a bunch of those. Willing to take orders and will pass along at Scott's price plus shipping/paypal.

Last edited:
I'm not the biggest fan of the gaiwan, but no Menghai nut should be without one.

I was recently reminded of the benefit of having a gaiwan in one's arsenal - like you, I don't use them very often. However, I was drinking a very brutal 2005 Menghai Pengcheng "Yuanyexiang", which is a plantation Bulang. It's TOUGH! Brewing it in a Yixing pot causes massive oversteeping, simply because even the small amount of time taken to pour the water out of my (already wide-calibre) Yixing pot was too much. In a gaiwan, however, the water can be almost instantly removed from the leaves - highly beneficial for such a Bulang!

So, keep one around. Just in case things get dangerous. :chinese:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

P.s. I bet these Dayi gaiwan are quite light. It's not easy finding a heavy, chunky gaiwan and I've not found an internet source for doing so, yet. Please let us know if you have!

P.s. I bet these Dayi gaiwan are quite light. It's not easy finding a heavy, chunky gaiwan and I've not found an internet source for doing so, yet. Please let us know if you have!

I think you need one of those early 20th century gaiwan which are now quite expensive. I need one too :biggrin:

how heavy are you looking at? I've got a pretty chunky one, heavy enough for me. reasonable quality at low priced range.

I was recently reminded of the benefit of having a gaiwan in one's arsenal - like you, I don't use them very often. However, I was drinking a very brutal 2005 Menghai Pengcheng "Yuanyexiang", which is a plantation Bulang. It's TOUGH! Brewing it in a Yixing pot causes massive oversteeping, simply because even the small amount of time taken to pour the water out of my (already wide-calibre) Yixing pot was too much. In a gaiwan, however, the water can be almost instantly removed from the leaves - highly beneficial for such a Bulang!

So, keep one around. Just in case things get dangerous. :chinese:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

I've been using this Dayi gaiwan for a month or two now and It's excellent. Good weight, good feel, highest quality gaiwan I own.

I think you need one of those early 20th century gaiwan which are now quite expensive. I need one too :biggrin:

how heavy are you looking at? I've got a pretty chunky one, heavy enough for me. reasonable quality at low priced range.

Heavy, heavy, heavy! I want chunkiness! Solidity! Density! MASS!

Any ideas? :)

(Anything has to be better than the 10RMB gaiwan I bought in Chengdu, but which is still soldiering on 4 years later in my office every day...)

looks good for display... just a bit shallow and wide for my liking :001_smile

Not so bad if you're a drink-from-the-gaiwan kind of guy, though :chinese:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

hobbes: you need a steel gaiwan or gold gaiwan :wink:

tsmba: thats a 'gaiwan' used to brew tgy or puerh. we steep it for awhile in the gaiwan before pouring it out into a container leaving the leaves in the gaiwan each time

Top Bottom