What's new

Itchy, prickly, uncomfortable beard

Once and awhile I like to grow out my facial hair. Usually when I reach 1 weeks growth it gets prickly and just plain uncomfortable to have, especially the mustache area. I've tried beard oils but they don't seam to do the trick, or maybe I just haven't used the right ones. Is there anything I can do, oil/balm/conditioner(leave in or rinse) that can get me past this issue? I think because I have sensitive skin I have this issue. I would like to grow it out more but it usually just bugs me and I end up shaving it all off.

What is the longest duration you have grown it out?

I mean I've probably grown my beard for only about 2-3 weeks. I've done Movember so the mustache about 4 weeks. At the end of the 4 weeks I was basically just counting down the days so it didn't particularly get better as time went on.

I mean I've probably grown my beard for only about 2-3 weeks. I've done Movember so the mustache about 4 weeks. At the end of the 4 weeks I was basically just counting down the days so it didn't particularly get better as time went one.

Interesting. Perhaps a peppermint and tea tree shampoo with moisturizer would work.

I would also say to try some balm regularly. The Proraso balm says it's made specifically to help with getting past the itchy stage, for example.

Make sure you work the beard oil down to your skin when applying, if you haven't already done that. You could also try to apply oil twice a day.

Patience and fortitude will make the itch stop.

The reason why a beard more often than not imbues the wearer with an aura of gravitas and manliness is because of the conviction that he had to possess with which to acquire such an impressive facial adornment.

Just let it grow and grow, the itch will stop eventually.

proxy.php

I tried the proraso beard balm.. I like the smell, but it didn't help with the itch.

Bluebeard lime beard conditioner though.. That seriously helped. I'm now past the itchy phase of my beard growth approaching 4 weeks.

I tried the proraso beard balm.. I like the smell, but it didn't help with the itch.

Bluebeard lime beard conditioner though.. That seriously helped. I'm now past the itchy phase of my beard growth approaching 4 weeks.

Will take a look at this product thanks.

Will also try the oil as suggested.

I don't actually think beard oils, etc actually do anything. They just give you something to do while your beard grows out and gets past the itchy phase.

I could be wrong...

Once and awhile I like to grow out my facial hair. Usually when I reach 1 weeks growth it gets prickly and just plain uncomfortable to have, especially the mustache area. I've tried beard oils but they don't seam to do the trick, or maybe I just haven't used the right ones. Is there anything I can do, oil/balm/conditioner(leave in or rinse) that can get me past this issue? I think because I have sensitive skin I have this issue. I would like to grow it out more but it usually just bugs me and I end up shaving it all off.

Beard oil is more for the skin than it is the hair. Try a cream.

Hi, when I started my journey into beard it took about 6-8 weeks to get rid of (or maybe get used to) the itchiness. I did use coconut oil for some relief. Before that I passed my beard for more than ten times just because of the feel. Now it's more than a year with the beard and the oil is a must as the skin gets easily irritated due to the lack of wet air so oil is needed to keep the skin moisturized. The main rule for applying oil is doing that on wet skin / hair. I use it after a shower or thorough facewash.

I don't actually think beard oils, etc actually do anything. They just give you something to do while your beard grows out and gets past the itchy phase.

I could be wrong...
Not true. Beard oil does help to soften the beard hair. It also helps to provide a healthy glow. Think "Alberto Vo5 Hot Oil Treatment". The carrier oils are typically chosen for their hair and skin properties, and the essential oils are chosen for scent and sometimes homeopathic properties.

Whether or not you believe in homeopathics is a matter of personal opinion, but the oils do help condition the beard, make it softer, easier to manage, and look healthy and clean. It also conditions the skin, and helps reduce drying and itching.

I thought it was the other way around, that you should apply oil when the beard is dry?
Hair has a protective coating of keratin along the shaft. Just as hot water will soften the beard and prepare it for shaving, hot water will soften the beard and prepare it for oil. The more "damage" you can do to the coating along the hair shaft, the better the oil is able to absorb into the hair. I take a hot shower, or wash my face with hot water, towel dry, and immediately apply oil. It absorbs quicker, this way...

Patience and fortitude will make the itch stop.

The reason why a beard more often than not imbues the wearer with an aura of gravitas and manliness is because of the conviction that he had to possess with which to acquire such an impressive facial adornment.

Just let it grow and grow, the itch will stop eventually.

proxy.php
Fantastic image (I'm a Chesterton fan too).
Moisturize!!! That's what's itching. All your body's natural oils are being leached away by the beard hair, making your skin dry and itchy. There's some great products out there specifically for beards, but any quality skin emollient should work.

Don't forget that beard needs lots of maintenance. Actually it takes more efforts and costs to maintain a beard than shaving it all. To save on oil - you might use coconut l, jojoba, argon or other oils just as they are. Or, if it's not an issue then use branded oils of we'll known brands. I make oils on my own by mixing base oils with essential ones.

I choose oils by their features: argan is known for it's specs for hair overall. The eucalyptus is opening the pores, what affects growth of the hair. The teatree oil is good for disinfection and healing, etc.

Hair has a protective coating of keratin along the shaft. Just as hot water will soften the beard and prepare it for shaving, hot water will soften the beard and prepare it for oil. The more "damage" you can do to the coating along the hair shaft, the better the oil is able to absorb into the hair. I take a hot shower, or wash my face with hot water, towel dry, and immediately apply oil. It absorbs quicker, this way...

Interesting. What if one choose to blow dry the beard, should the oil be applied in advance?

Top Bottom