What's new

Italic nib questions

I'm a nib newbie, and I'm experimenting with different pens/nibs.

So far, I found that I really like the broad italic nib on my Pilot 78g. It seems to write a bit finer liner as compared to the Lamy 1.1m nib on my Safari, and is a bit smoother than the fine italic nibs on the Sheaffer No Nonsense and Osmiroid pens I have.

My questions are:

1. Can any nib be ground to an italic? If so, will starting with a broad, medium, or fine nib result in a different line when ground to an italic nib?
  2. Are the Lamy 1.x nibs true italics, or is that just describing the nib width?
  3. Any recommendations for good pens with stock italic nibs? I like the Pilot 78g, but I would like to find a pen with an ink window, and either a piston or vacuum filler.
  4. Anything else I need to know about italic nibs?
Background:
I am a print only kind of guy, so I haven't ventured down the cursive italic path. I assume those are more for people that are focusing on cursive writing (i.e., doing loopy stuff like with Spencerian cursive).

Thanks!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Three pens to check out are:

Pilot Plumix ... using the same italic nib as the Pilot 78g (so you know what you are getting there). The pen has an ... um ... "interesting" design, but you can see inside and it works with a converter.

Sticking with Pilot for a moment, the "Parallel", which comes with a 1.5mm nib (so about 50% more nib width than you currently have at about 1mm) and has even wider options. This one works with a converter, and can also be eyedroppered for a big fill (those italic nibs are thirsty!)

Kaweco Sport & Ice Sport ... a small pen that packs a big punch ... some "Sport" pens and all (IIRC) Ice Sport pens come with clear bodies, so you can see inside. They take cartridges, a small converter, and can be eyedroppered for maximum capacity. They make good 1.1mm and 1.5mm stock italic nibs (although depending where you buy, you may need to buy them separately.)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
As for a piston filler with an ink window, there is always the Noodler's Konrad. Get the Ebonite version for $40, don't waste money on the cheaper ones and replace the nib for one from Nemosine or Goulet.

As for a piston filler with an ink window, there is always the Noodler's Konrad. Get the Ebonite version for $40, don't waste money on the cheaper ones and replace the nib for one from Nemosine or Goulet.

I have been trying the Goulet italic nibs on some Jinhao X750s, and I LOVE those nibs - I have the 1.1 and the 1.5 italics, and I really like the 1.5

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Background:
I am a print only kind of guy, so I haven't ventured down the cursive italic path. I assume those are more for people that are focusing on cursive writing (i.e., doing loopy stuff like with Spencerian cursive).

Thanks!
Spencerian is done with true flex nibs, cursive italics are just a bit less scratchy than a crisp italic, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you need to avoid cursive italic nibs for what you want to do.

Spencerian is done with true flex nibs, cursive italics are just a bit less scratchy than a crisp italic, I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you need to avoid cursive italic nibs for what you want to do.

I wasn't avoiding CI's, I just didn't think I necessarily needed them if I wasn't doing cursive writing.

I picked up a Pelikan M200 with a factory italic nib that should arrive this week. I'm looking forward to trying what I perceive to be a little higher quality pen than the Pilot 78g. I like the Pilot nib, but the lightweight, plastic body feels cheap. Plus I like piston fillers and ink windows, which the Pilot 78g doesn't offer .

Top Bottom