What's new

Is this strop useable?

Hi guys, i‘m new to straight razor shaving. I got this strop with a ”beginner set”. Turns out the razor in this set was a dud. Now i’m wondering about the strop. Here’s a few images:
IMG_4318.jpeg
IMG_4319.jpeg
IMG_4320.jpeg

The leather is very thick and stiff compared to those i see online.

Legion

Staff member
Thick and stiff leather is not in itself an issue. I’d be more concerned about the wrinkles from being folded.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Don't be afraid to practice on it with the dud razor. You may be able to make the surface more user friendly by hanging the strop, weighted for a while and/or burnishing it with a smooth, glass, bottle to work the leather smoother....hopefully. If you are new to this, stropping practice is essential and a dud strop is just the tool to learn on. Try it and see how soon you cut it. Concentrate on technique and safety. Study what's going on in slow motion. Keep the spine on the strop, that's #1 right now. Read and study the stickies for this thread and watch videos anywhere you can find them. Great strop for the job at hand.

Legion

Staff member
Don't be afraid to practice on it with the dud razor. You may be able to make the surface more user friendly by hanging the strop, weighted for a while and/or burnishing it with a smooth, glass, bottle to work the leather smoother....hopefully. If you are new to this, stropping practice is essential and a dud strop is just the tool to learn on. Try it and see how soon you cut it. Concentrate on technique and safety. Study what's going on in slow motion. Keep the spine on the strop, that's #1 right now. Read and study the stickies for this thread and watch videos anywhere you can find them. Great strop for the job at hand.
Yes, and I would add, it would not hurt to skive the sharp corners off the sides, like chamfering a hone. If you don't have access to a skiving tool, hit the sharp edges with a bit of sandpaper.

An analogy:
When you start running you won't buy high end running shoes for your first run, of course. (Kanayama, Toni Miller strops)
And yes, you can run with sandals. You'll tune them a bit here and there, but they aren't fun. (Your strop)
Why don't you buy a normal pair of running shoes (a normal strop, like Herold, Prima Rindsleder, Dovo etc.)

I can't afford buying cheap (you always have to buy twice) ;)

Reactions: JPO
Top Bottom