What's new

Is this a proper first straight?

Is this a decent first straight? I dont really what to look for as far as brand or condition. Maybe you guys could shed some light on this for me. I would love to get a vintage razor but so many options out there. Thanks,Matt

Uhhh ... yeah. Have a good edge put on it and you'll have a very good shaving razor.

Unfortunately, if that is a chip or crack near the heel this particular one may be shot.

Uhhh ... yeah. Have a good edge put on it and you'll have a very good shaving razor.

Unfortunately, if that is a chip or crack near the heel this particular one may be shot.

+1.

It certainly look like a decent size chip that might extend to a crack as well. You'll need to get it checked out to see if its salvageable.

It looks like a really beautiful razor, but that chip in the blade will have to be attended to first...if it can be.

It is hard to tell how high the crack extends. I would hesitate to breadknife the entire length of the blade to get the crack out, as that would remove too much blade. From what I can see, after doing so, it would probably still be shaveable. But, the blade would be on the edge of too narrow.

Replacing the blade might be the thing to do. If you decide this is a razor to learn honing on, then I would hone out the crack just at the heel and leave the blade untouched elsewhere. It will look like sin, with the much narrower heel compared to the rest of the razor. But, you can certainly shave with it afterwards.

By the way, some experiments like this have netted me some nifty niche razors. A razor like this, might be good for getting in the tight spots under the neck. Just have fun with it!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Can you take more pictures of the crack?

Top Bottom