What's new

Is My Technique Flawed or My Razor

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I'm right handed and I'm getting linear damage along the right side of my strop. It seems to be coming from some feature of the stabilizer on a vintage razor. Have you ever seen this before and should I correct the stabilizer or my techique so that it doesn't contact the strop edge? If it is the stabilizer, any advice on a correction would be greatly appreciated.

I have two razors that do that. Looking at them there is a sharp edge. One razor has a sharp edge on the doing near the top that scratches me strip as well. I'm thinking of getting a Dremel and smoothing those sharp edges out.

Probably burrs on the edge. I only have one razor with a stabilizer and it had done that. When honing, I’m careful not to let the stabilizer ride the stone. I “think” riding the stone generates irregular edges at the heel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many times there is a sharp transition from the heel to the edge especially when the razor has seen some use.
I would check that first.
Secondly try lowering your strop a little. If you hold a pencil or whatever in your right hand holding near the eraser - place your left hand underneath it having the pencil lay flat. Now move your left hand up while keeping contact (your pencil touches the other hand closest to the right side) now lower it (the pencil touches on the left side now)
Finding a proper height for yourself is paramount to long term consistency.

I “think” riding the stone generates irregular edges at the heel.

I think keeping the stabilizer off the hone causes problems like heel hooks and razors that are smaller at the toe than at the heel. Many Ebay razors have that ridiculous taper on them, that's more of one end of the razor being honed than the other. It can also cause steps in the spine if always honed the same.
Keep your whole razor on the hone.
Any razor that wears down will eventually have a sharp transition there but your edge will be straight without any hook, a softening with w/d will round it off and your edge never changes.

Taken from another thread where you and I had the same difference of opinion,

proxy.php

This clearly shows the stabilizer on the hone. It is a Barbering textbook written by Barbers for Barbers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom