What's new

Is my Gillette Slim messed up?

Do I have an issue with this Gillette Slim Adjustable that I bought off eBay? It looks to be in great shape and has that quarter turn I’ve seen people talk about, but when I do the quarter turn I notice the caps on top seem to show separation. I think it may be causing my blade alignment to be off what do y’all think? Is it normal?

With quarter turn on 9
D20BAEE7-76FB-4A49-AB12-5E900319B6B5.jpeg

F06980BD-5878-4062-BA4F-555A9B23B83C.jpeg

3921FAAA-E05D-4E5E-ACD2-2CD7E1C680D1.jpeg

Without quarter turn on 9
19B2E02C-A78D-48E6-814A-53F2B2A011A6.jpeg

7868A77D-92E9-4283-A9B1-6CF728708BAC.jpeg

B9B285A8-834F-4962-A8EF-582047DE71EB.jpeg

It doesn't look like much and I don't know if there's anything wrong with your Slim but I just checked both of mine and as far as I can tell by looking, the doors look the same down the middle with or without the last quarter turn applied. They don't seem to get any further apart when I tighten them up.

Well, have you used it?
How was the shave?
And to shave you have to do that quarter turn or else your shave will be horrible. And try to start less than nine...try 5 and see what happens.

Well, have you used it?
How was the shave?
And to shave you have to do that quarter turn or else your shave will be horrible. And try to start less than nine...try 5 and see what happens.
I’ve shaved and the results have been mixed. Haven’t really gotten it tuned in yet with a great blade combo. I don’t shave on 9... I was just setting it to 9 to show the gap. I usually shave on 4

Your Slim looks fine to me. Blade looks pretty even. It's important to remember that these were never highly precise tools to begin with so some variation is normal. Then add 50+ years and you're almost certain to get some play in the mechanism. Mine is similar and so are many that I've seen. Shave away.

Your Slim looks fine to me. Blade looks pretty even. It's important to remember that these were never highly precise tools to begin with so some variation is normal. Then add 50+ years and you're almost certain to get some play in the mechanism. Mine is similar and so are many that I've seen. Shave away.
Thank you!

Looks fine to me. I’ve had ones that have been further off from end to end as well as side to side. But with gentle tweaking it can corrected. Yours looks good, I’d try a. Couple shaves with it to see how it performs before I would look to adjust anything, and you may finds nothing to improve upon. Even if you did it would be very very minor. Enjoy!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Looks okay to me. As long as the 1/4 turn works and locks then it should be fine. I tried shaving with my first slim and the first few strokes were terrible. On inspection I had not done the 1/4 turn and after rectifying this the shave was great.

Looks okay to me. As long as the 1/4 turn works and locks then it should be fine. I tried shaving with my first slim and the first few strokes were terrible. On inspection I had not done the 1/4 turn and after rectifying this the shave was great.
Sorry, but what is the quarter turn everyone is referencing?

+2! Yep! ‘...these were never highly precise tools..‘ so it looks good from here! :clap: :clap:

how many razor blades can you fit into the razor at each setting..

Gillette ROUGHLY used the gap number as the number of blades that can be fit into the razor at that number..

Top Bottom