What's new

Is My Brand New Razor Already Rusting?

Hello everyone! I hope I'm posting in the right place. I've been lurking for a bit and decided now's the best time to join since I'm having a bit of a problem.

Last week I received a Merkur 33C (brand new, from a reputable store). Today after drying off the inside of the handle with a Q-Tip, I pulled it out to find the cotton was stained orange. I grabbed a flashlight and the bottom of the ring (I'll call it) inside had some browning. There's also black spots which--from my understanding--would be patina. But what about the rest? I'm drying the razor throughly, store it in a dry place, etc. etc.

I'm relatively new to wet shaving, so I hope I'm just ignorant and there's another explanation. If it's important; water here is moderately hard.

Thanks!

lasta

Blade Biter
I would say more likely the blade rusting than the razor.

Yellow could also be soap residues.

Merkurs are chrome plated, very stable.

Your options would be to contact the reputable store and let them know your findings.
Ask the reputable store to do an exchange or refund.
Drop some mineral oil or blade lube/oil in the hole and clean it out with Q-tip.
Oil it again, put it back together, and continue using it.

Those are my thoughts, not expert opinion or advice.

Welcome, too!

I would say more likely the blade rusting than the razor.

Yellow could also be soap residues.

Merkurs are chrome plated, very stable.
Thanks for the reply! The blade I was using seemed fine. The thought of soap residue crossed my mind, but I leaned toward rust since it's not that colour.

Your options would be to contact the reputable store and let them know your findings.
Drop some mineral oil or blade lube/oil in the hole and clean it out with Q-tip.

Welcome, too!
Yeah, I'm definitely going to shoot them an e-mail. I ended up cleaning and lubing the razor after my discovery.

Thanks for the reply and the welcome!

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Hi and welcome to B&B. I've never had to deal with this myself, but that seems like a short space of time for any rusting to be happening. I'm sure one of the gents here will be along shortly with some advice and help for you.

Welcome, too!

Before you do that, you should be able to prove beyond doubt that it is rust.

Over the years, I have read too many post where someone was pressing the alarm bottom because of “rust” on his safety razor and it turned out to be mineral deposits from the local water or some other innocuous substance. Rust is iron oxide and safety razors are rarely made from materials that can “rust”.

Merkur states that the 33C has a brass handle, diecasted zinc razor head, galvanized surfaces, bright chrome-plated. I have a hard time imagining how these non-ferrous materials can rust.

In any case, for us to confirm or deny without any close-up pictures would be imprudent.

B.

Last edited:
Welcome to the best shaving forum in the universe.

Another possibility, that I have experienced, is manufacturing residues that could include oils used during production that are difficult to clean out of those hard to get to spots such as inside the handle before the product is packaged. As mentioned, there is absolutely no steel used in the Merkur razors so rusting is not a possibility. Although, corrosion of the Zinc head is possible if the plating fails.

Welcome to the forum. Those razors tend to be chrome over zinc/zinc-alloy. Zinc doesn't rust orange/red, and usually would appear as white/gray residue. That said, I believe the screw is actually brass, pushed or molded into the zinc cap. - Brass would make yellow to pink color of corrosion. - If it's definitely orange, not yellow/pink, I doubt its the screw rusting either.

My system for preventing Rust on Blade I use is simple.

Remove Blade from Razor, run under water, dry with tissue or paper towel.

Place away from Razor, Rust is like Cancer, once it starts, it only gets worst.

Can’t happen if you follow my simple steps.

Rubbing Alcohol help Blade Dry Faster.

You didn't indicate whether or not you keep your blade in the razor between uses. FWIW, I either disassemble the razor to let the pieces and blades dry or at a minimum, such as in the case of a butterfly design, open it enough to allow water to evaporate more easily.

Thank you everyone for the replies! Here's the best photo I could get. I've since soaked the razor and gave the inside a good brushing. Nothing changed although there was no more staining on my brush.

I do take the blades out after I use them. Along with patting the parts dry, I spritz them with alcohol and the threading has been lubricated.
IMG_7160.jpeg

+1 for doing this.

That picture looks to me to be the brass the handle is made from. I say use it and check occasionally. If it gets worse contact the seller.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Be well
Jay
I'll definitely keep an eye on it. I'd rather not have to go through the process of getting another. If it was only brown, I would've just thought they didn't plate it. But with it rubbing off and there being black spots, I thought there was something going on. Thank you for the reply and welcome!

Thank you everyone for the replies! Here's the best photo I could get. I've since soaked the razor and gave the inside a good brushing. Nothing changed although there was no more staining on my brush.

I do take the blades out after I use them. Along with patting the parts dry, I spritz them with alcohol and the threading has been lubricated.View attachment 1685788

That to me looks like slight brass oxidation (patina).

If you google “About Brass Oxidation”, you may find the following statement:
“While oxidized brass doesn't always look as nice as brass in its original state, the oxidation process allows the brass to create a protective coating or patina on its exterior to prevent further corrosion or damage.”

And further down:
“Oxidation has no effect on the integrity of the brass the way corrosion does. Some people leave the brass oxidation on for decorative effect, and it is known as a "patina.”

That some people polish brass has more to do with that some people prefer to see shiny brass surfaces than patina.

You also need do differentiate between brass oxidation (blackish patina), which does not pose a risk and brass corrosion (reddish or pink splotches), which does.

This patina in a way protects from further oxidation. Removing it will not only serve no purpose, it will just create a surface to start oxidation again.

Keep also in mind that brass has been used for ages for water pipes and fittings.
As it is does not pose a danger to the handle, I would just leave it alone or you could cover it with petroleum jelly (vaseline), although it is strictly speaking not even neccessary.

To summarise, based on your picture there is nothing wrong with the handle and a reputable seller, or Merkur, is unlikely to replace the razor, because what you see is not a fault, but is to be expected.

B.

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Merkur quality. They often have finish issues. The handle and thread were probably already in that state before you started using the razor.

Top Bottom