What's new

Is Kent worth it?

Thank you. I was more interested in the similar claim made by the same poster that Simpson brushes are 'largely manufactured in China now'. I own several Simpson brushes and place high value on them being manufactured in Great Britain and formerly in England. I would be disappointed to find this was not the case but I suspect it is not. It seems to me to be nothing more than unnecessary speculation without any foundation. Poor form in my view.

According to their website, Simpsons are still made in the UK. It sounds like the deal to sell Simpsons was based on a proviso that production had to remain in the UK and use traditional techniques.

Hand Made In Britain - Our Heritage - Simpsons - https://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/our-heritage/hand-made-in-britain

They have it plastered all over their website, so trading standards would be all over them in the UK if this wasn't true.

admittedly, i'm not a brush expert, but i've never had a bad experience with any of my kent brushes!
always enjoy these plush, soft furry creatures! handles are classic and great! they last for countless shaves and, imho, very worthwhile!

View attachment 1120339
Well done, nice collection sir!

I have the BLK8 and dont use it very often but i do like the luxurious soft feel every so often

I also own two T9 combs and have recently bought one of their hair brushes. I can safely say I've never bowl lathered any of my 11 Kents' either the Boar or Badger. I'm a dedicated face latherer and shower shaver you see. No problems with this either. I'd go as far to say all the Kent products I have and used (shave cream) are pretty good.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I recently reached out to Mark at Simpson to inquire about picking up a Chubby 2 “SiLVERTiP.” He was able to tell me on the spot what materials he had on hand that he could use for Chubby 2 handles. I picked the Speckled Tortoise. Just saw a post on Facebook that a bunch of Chubby 2 2 Bands are ready to be put up so I’m assuming my request spurred a “may as well produce a bunch, they’ll sell” response. I mean, they may have been getting ready to make them anyway, but I like giving myself credit. :p

I’ve also seen the, still relatively recent, videos of how they make the brushes in their factory in the Isle of Man. Quick Google search can yield those videos. Simpson’s are not made in China if you pay attention to the evidence. The hair is, and the resin may or may not be, but the actual manufacturing is in the Isle of Man shop.

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I recently reached out to Mark at Simpson to inquire about picking up a Chubby 2 “SiLVERTiP.” He was able to tell me on the spot what materials he had on hand that he could use for Chubby 2 handles. I picked the Speckled Tortoise. Just saw a post on Facebook that a bunch of Chubby 2 2 Bands are ready to be put up so I’m assuming my request spurred a “may as well produce a bunch, they’ll sell” response. I mean, they may have been getting ready to make them anyway, but I like giving myself credit. :p

I’ve also seen the, still relatively recent, videos of how they make the brushes in their factory in the Isle of Man. Quick Google search can yield those videos. Simpson’s are not made in China if you pay attention to the evidence. The hair is, and the resin may or may not be, but the actual manufacturing is in the Isle of Man shop.
I like Simpson and own a couple but one reason I also own a Plisson is I've heard their better grades of badger are actually sourced from Europe rather than China. I'm quite happy with both brands but would rather buy a badger that didn't come from China.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I like Simpson and own a couple but one reason I also own a Plisson is I've heard their better grades of badger are actually sourced from Europe rather than China. I'm quite happy with both brands but would rather buy a badger that didn't come from China.

I’ve heard the same but haven’t seen the company officially confirm it. That said, I’ve always wanted a Plisson HMW. Someday!

I like the Kent handles, but I prefer to set my own knot of my choosing at the depth I desire.

It saddens me to see them stop producing badger knotted brushes ..... synthetic has their place, but in my opinion will not replace the feel of natural badger hair or boar bristle.

No offense to anyone

:001_cool:

Top Bottom