What's new

Is it Best to Cover Shaving Soaps or Leave Them Open Between Uses?

I enjoy evening shaves, so for me, it's easy. I face lather with my wet brush directly swirling on the open soap container, and do a three pass shave. When finished, I rinse the soap, shake it off, and leave it uncovered on the bathroom counter. It then gets the lid screwed back on in the morning, before my wife and I take our showers, and put back into the drawer.

I just leave my soaps in rotation open in ceramic bowls. I have 4 like this.
Soft ones like A&E and similar I leave open for a day then close.

If you leave them open the scent tames down, but they still makes the bathroom smell good.
A new Tabac takes about 2 months to tame down. And then it only really smells much when used.

All the soaps/blends used in my open mugs lose most of their scent over a few weeks. Over time this has included Williams, Arko, Van Der Hagen and/or custom blends that include the above plus superlathering additions such as Proraso red croap. Consistent with posts from others that use these soaps. Presumed that was because soaps weren't formulated/sold on basis of their scent. Interesting that even a super premium soap like MdC will lose its scent too fast when left open. Have some Razorock "What the Puck" pucks and even though Italian Barber states that they are meant to be kept open I replace the lid after it drys overnight I only use them occasionally. One of them will go into an open mug for more regular use once I 3017 one of my current mug soaps. Will be interesting to see how long the scent lasts when it's left out.
I generally rinse my puck in container and let it dry until I come home, then I put the lid on! never had an issue with this process.

I don't have lids for the ramekins I use to put grated sticks in. I've had an open Speick for a few years as well as Palmolive. No issues. Now, I have an open Arko puck (didn't like the container it came in) and a La Toja stick in open containers. They sit in a closed small cabinet but I don't think it makes any difference. Covered or not, soaps will lose scent in time. For instance, I have a puck of PdP in its own tin and it's a few years old. Mild scent to begin with, slightly milder now. Creams are always sealed in their containers.

I've always left my soap uncovered, most of my ceramic bowls don't have covers. have only 4 soaps till I'm down to 3
I wonder if people who are so careful to cover their shaving soap also put their bar of bath soap in a sealed container? Most bath soaps aren't wrapped air tight (or hand soaps or shaving soaps). Matter of fact, MWF's ceramic container isn't the least air tight and the soap will crack in time if it's not is regular rotation and rehydrated from regular use.

I wonder if people who are so careful to cover their shaving soap also put their bar of bath soap in a sealed container? Most bath soaps aren't wrapped air tight (or hand soaps or shaving soaps). Matter of fact, MWF's ceramic container isn't the least air tight and the soap will crack in time if it's not is regular rotation and rehydrated from regular use.
Bath soap is used up much faster than shaving soap, and most people don’t have a lifetime supply of bath soap like some of us with shaving soap. 🙂

I do both.

I have soaps that are in their original container. I wipe them dry and close the lid.

I have another soap that is sealed in a shave bowl. It also gets wiped dry and left open.

Never had a problem with either, in my relatively short wet shaving career.

I have 3 pucks in shaving mugs, one of which that I don't use much, is well over 10 years old. All work fine.
The soaps in covered tubs are left open for at least a few hours to dry. I'm not sure covering wet soaps is a good idea. 🤔

I leave them open unt next day. If used again do the same. If I choose something else, after opening new soap for the day I close yesterday's.

Top Bottom