What's new

Is it bad that ive never tried Tabac?

Hmmm. Well my Barrister and Mann Hallows will be here today. Waiting on PPF ciderhouse to come out again and REALLY been enjoying cold river soap works fall scent!! Soap commander is one of the slickest ive used and I LOVE Mikes orange cedarwood and black pepper. I love the performance of Barrister and Mann just havent found that one knockout scent for me. The top would me cheshire, lime lavender and cedarwood, maybe seville? Even though i HATE barbershop scents. They actually make me nauseous but not seville. Ill have to try to hunt down a sample of Tabac i guess!!

IME you should regret not trying Cella and Wilkinson sticks. Now I fall more on the performance side than scent side when shaving, even though I am addicted to some soap scents at any time of the day (I literally sit with a puck right next to me and pick it up for a sniff every now and then).

I understand there's a 12-step program for that. :lol:

I have a puck of Tabac that I haven't tried yet and am in no hurry. I opened the package and took a big wiff and can't say I am big on the scent. I am currently using a puck of MWF and I hate it. If want to smell like laundry I will start lathering up with laundry detergent. The performance of MFW is great as far as lathering and slickness, but the scent is a turn off for me.

Why settle for a shaving soap with a scent you don't like when there are plenty of soaps out there that lather, provide a layer of protective slickness, and have a scent you like. For me that soap is How to Grow a Mustache Synergy Cavendish. Another hard soap I like is D.R. Harris Marlboro.

--Jerome

It ain't for everybody, that's for sure. To me it smells like an auction house warehouse, old furniture, paintings, rugs, etc. The only reason I made it past that opening whiff to actually trying it was the glowing reviews it gets from most of the straight razor shavers I respect. They were right, it's great stuff. (but I could still do without the floral notes)

Rethinking ... since it seems to be reformulated (I have not seen the new version yet) ... it would be bad if you had never tried the current formula!

I have a puck of Tabac that I haven't tried yet and am in no hurry. I opened the package and took a big wiff and can't say I am big on the scent. I am currently using a puck of MWF and I hate it. If want to smell like laundry I will start lathering up with laundry detergent. The performance of MFW is great as far as lathering and slickness, but the scent is a turn off for me.

Why settle for a shaving soap with a scent you don't like when there are plenty of soaps out there that lather, provide a layer of protective slickness, and have a scent you like. For me that soap is How to Grow a Mustache Synergy Cavendish. Another hard soap I like is D.R. Harris Marlboro.

--Jerome

I know that you didn't ask but given the list of soaps that you like you would probably enjoy Tiki The Captain and RazoRock Mudder Focker quite a bit.

Interesting comments on Arko. I also think it is a great soap. But its scent ...
I left two sticks open in my storage room (could not stand having them at home) for 2 months. Now in a ziplock bag with Mistral Black Noir to try to rescent the Arko. Not sure which one will take over ...

I'd always been put off trying Tabac in light of its reputation on here, as I thought it was like an old mans pocket or something, but I suppose if I don't like it, I can just add essential oils to it. I love Arko but I'm really enjoying playing about with the oils in that.

I'd always been put off trying Tabac in light of its reputation on here, as I thought it was like an old mans pocket or something, but I suppose if I don't like it, I can just add essential oils to it. I love Arko but I'm really enjoying playing about with the oils in that.
Tabac eats essential oils for breakfast.

Seems like Tabac is a love hate item, mostly based on scent.
Get a sample if you can before buying a whole tube or cake...

You can't judge Tabac (or any soap) by its raw scent. You need to break the puck in and give it a few days to settle in.

When I got my first order of Tabac, the UPS driver dropped a package on my porch and I eagerly ran downstairs to retrieve it. As soon as I opened the front door, I got hit with that smell. This was through a sealed package, mind you. I took it upstairs and opened it, gave it a good sniff, and I started thinking "OMG, what have I gotten myself into?" I was bowled over by how intense the smell was, and even when I put it in the bathroom, I could smell it from the other rooms in my apartment. Yeah, its that strong when a puck is brand new.

But I plunged ahead and soaked the puck overnight, and the smell tamed down quite a bit. When I shaved with it, I knew what all the fuss was about. I liked the now neutralized scent enough that I went and ordered the cream, the ASL and EdC, and over the next couple of years I added the EdT, deodorant stick and spray, bath soap, and ASB. I'm still wanting to add the Tabac shampoo, and a shave stick to round out the ensemble.

True, there are a lot of people that don't like the smell of Tabac, but in the dead of winter, its THE brand for me.

To those that haven't tried it yet, you'll never know unless you get some and go for it. Nobody says you have to like it, nobody's going to force you to keep it if it doesn't appeal to your nose.

But I'll advise you this: Tabac is at its best in cold weather. Below freezing is ideal, but certainly nothing above 45degF. And if you like the soap, go ahead and get the rest of the brand components. Nothing works better with Tabac except more Tabac.

I found the lather to be excellent, I couldn't stand the smell though.

I ended up selling it, my only keepers have been:- MWF, DRH Almond, Nanny's Signature & Proraso Menthol.

Tabac is so good I'm seriously considering selling all my other soaps, but MdC of course. Let's not get crazy...

Scents are a polarizing issue here. I say go for it if you want to try it. Maybe get some samples from the vendors who sell samples.
For me, I have to like the scent of a soap or cream to enjoy using it. I like Arko and MWF scents. I also like The Veg. Can't stand Tabac though. I ordered a puck, used it once, and found the scent revolting to me. I could even smell it on my face hours after shaving, and using after shave. I don't think I have ever heard a complaint about it's performance, only it's scent. But a lot of guys here love it. YMMV

Top Bottom