What's new

What One Soap Brand Should I Try?

Stirling and Barrister and Mann. Easiest samples to get a hold of and lots of good choices, The last year and a half I've went crazy collecting samples of these, as well as other brands from Maggards and Top of the Chain.

Thanks all for such good input. I already have a good stack of Stirling soaps (and more on the way). From this feedback I've also ordered:
-Mike's Natural Orange, Cedarwood, and Black Pepper
-B&M Reserve Cool
-B&M Seville

Looking forward to them!

Wholly Kaw
Wet The Face
Southern Witchcrafts
CBL
Ballenclaugh (if available highly recommended)
Storybook Soapworks
Perfectly Natural

the list goes on. TONS of great choices out there its hard to go wrong these days with most of the artisans out there, just check ingredient list to make sure it will lather (steric acid, sodium/potassium hydroxide, etc.).

It might be a good idea to get a handful of samples from Maggards so you can try many different soap bases for a reasonable price, rather than being stuck with a full tub if the performance/scent does not live up to your standards. Samples are always a good choice IMO.

De Vergulde Hand, a Dutch soap and possibly from one of the oldest manufacturers in existence. I believe the brand name goes back well over 400 years.

Ariana and Evans hands down for me. I like Stirling too but A&E’s matching splashes and especially their post shave serum are outstanding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
One of the best, if not the best, soap is from Grooming Department. Not easy to get your hands on them, but he sells some through Westcoast shaving and Italian Barber.
Then I would also recommend Tabac.

There are so many. A couple I have inside my two Old Spice mugs are Fine American Blend and Fine Fresh Vetliver Both are very nice. Again..... Tabac, Shannon's, Captain's Choice , Sterling, et al all make some great soaps.

Wonderful soap:
Sir Henrys Sandalwood or Unscented.

And from the 'Less is More Thread'. Non artisan but absolutely must try - La Toja is included.
Beehive Ingredients: Stearic Acid, water, coconut oil, shea butter, potassium hydroxide, glycerin, sodium hydroxide, castor oil, fragrance.

CBL Tonsorial. Ingredients: Beef Tallow, Stearic Acid, Water, Coconut Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Hydroxide, Fragrance, Glycerine.

La Toja: Ingredients: Potassium stearate, potassium cocoate, potassium palmitate, stearate soidum, aqua, glycerin, parfums, minerals salts, coumarin, limonene, linalool, butylpheryl methylpropional, tetrasodium EDTA, tetrasodium etidronate CI 77891

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
SV is my #1. The performance is simply outstanding.

Wickham 1912 is my #2, with performance almost matching SV.

WK DM/CRS (cream)/Cella Bio/Vitos Extra Super Coco/Phoenix & Beau/PdP/Captain's Choice and, arguably, Southern Witchcrafts, are my 3rd tier.

Many good soaps listed. I’ve tried many of them. I suggest trying what I consider the best soap on the market, Ethos. Lavender or Melange d’agrumes are two superbly wonderful scents. And the performance is elite!

@Rudy Vey and @mrlandpirate chose the right path. The new GroomingDept Kairos update is the finest soap on the market in my use.

I have extensive use with Ethos, which is getting a lot of hype everywhere, but this new GD Kairos update certainly surpasses Ethos in shave and post.

Top Bottom