What's new

Is Fatip's quality still hit or miss?

it isn't a QC issue, it is a design characteristics. I am starting to think that those who have "good" razors are simply more tolerant to uneven / skewed exposure than others.
to OP, they are still the same models, therefor no change.
My recently purchased Grande has good finish, but needs fiddling with the blade, otherwise you get noticeably different sides: one aggressive, one mild. That is when the blade is parallel with the baseplate, but exposure is not even on both sides.
My Merkurs are pretty similar in this regard, Mühle's need little to no fiddling and CNC machined steel razors are perfectly aligned automatically.

I have owned at least a half dozen different Fatip razors over the years, and only the slant aligned perfectly without any need for manual adjustment. That said, the alignment has never been an issue for me. I don't remove the blade after each shave, so I only need align the razor when I change the blade. I also have no issues with the plating on my current Piccolo, but I have never found a Fatip handle that I really like and I think I've tried them all from Piccolo to Grande to wooden to Il Grosso. Finally I took some advice from Brad Maggard at Maggard Razors and wrapped the post with some teflon tape. That allows me to use my handle of choice with the Fatip. Currently I'm using the handle from a Yaqi Romulus. It's a bit bigger than the Piccolo handle but lets me retain the maneuverability of the Piccolo without making my hand feel too cramped. On the downside I do have to rewrap the post every three or four blade changes, but it only takes a minute to do it.

1714423291802.png

I bought a grande OC this year where the handle and screw post were bent - Connaught took care of me though.

I still need to manually align the blade, but it's worth it. This thing shaves real nice. Very close, with a unique feel.

I received the Fatip slant. Haven’t used it yet but the alignment is better than the Piccolo. Still, it’s nowhere near as good as the CNC milled razors I own. But, can’t complain given the price.

Top Bottom